Dr. Andrews Owusu
Senior Lecturer in Accounting
School of Economics, Finance and Accounting
Coventry Business School
Faculty of Business and Law
In my role as a Senior Lecturer in Accounting at the School of Economics, Finance and Accounting, I’m responsible for teaching Governance, Accountability and Ethics as well as Auditing at the postgraduate level. I’m also responsible for supervising the master’s level dissertations and doctoral students. As an academic personal tutor, I support a number of postgraduate students during their study at the University. I obtained a PhD in Corporate Governance and an MBA from the Aberdeen Business School, Robert Gordon University. I’m also a Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Higher Education Academy.
Prior to joining Coventry University, I worked as an Accountant and held a number of academic positions in the UK including Senior Lecturer in Accounting and the Programme Leader of a Postgraduate Programme in Accounting at the University of East London. I also sat on the AACSB Accreditation Committee where I successfully contributed in achieving the Business School’s provisional accreditation status. During my time at the Robert Gordon University, Scotland, I sat on the University’s Academic Council for two years where I participated in the development and implementation of the University’s operational strategies. I have taught a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate modules including Governance and Accountability, Auditing, Financial Environment, Financial Reporting, Strategic Management Accounting and Research Methods.
- PhD in Corporate Governance, Robert Gordon University.
- MBA Management, Robert Gordon University.
- Accounting and Finance BA (Hons), University of East London.
My research interests focus on the performance consequences of corporate governance changes, auditing and earnings management. I have published in these fields and I’m a reviewer of a number of journals. One of my forthcoming papers entitled ‘What Drives Corporate Governance Quality in Emerging African Economies? Evidence from Ghana’ received the best paper award from the Australia-Middle East Conference on Business and Social Sciences 2016, Dubai In Partnership with The Journal of Developing Areas. I’m the primary investigator of a competitive institutional funding project worth £9,595 on the impact of Brexit on accounting and auditing regulations (2016-2017).
Recent outputs and publications
- Owusu, A. ‘What Drives Corporate Governance Quality in Emerging African Economies? Evidence from Ghana’. Journal of Developing Areas 50 (4) [Forthcoming]
- Owusu, A., and Weir, C. (2016) ‘The Governance-Performance Relationship: Evidence from Ghana’. Journal of Applied Accounting Research 17 (3), 285-310.
- Owusu, A., and Weir, C. (2013) ‘Do company directors underestimate the adoption of corporate governance? Evidence from Ghana’. Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing 9 (11), 1526-1534.
- Zalata, A., Owusu, A., and Boahen, E.O. (2016) ‘Governance Mechanisms and Earnings Management Using Classification Shifting During CEO Tenure’. International Conference on Accounting, Finance and Financial Institutions. Held 19-21 October 2016 in Poznan, Poland.
- Zalata, A., Owusu, A., and Boahen, E.O. (2016) ‘CEO Tenure and Earnings management Using Classification Shifting’. British Accounting and Finance Association Conference. Held 21-23 March 2016 in Bath, UK.
- Owusu, A. (2016) ‘What Drives Corporate Governance Quality in Emerging African Economies? Evidence from Ghana’. Australia-Middle East Conference on Business and Social Sciences 2016, in Partnership with The Journal of Developing Areas. Held 17-18 April 2016 in Dubai, UAE.
- Owusu, A., and Weir, C. (2014) ‘Agency Costs, Ownership Structure and Corporate Governance Changes on the Ghana Stock Exchange’. IMRA-Kean University Conference. Held 29-31 May 2014 in New Jersey, USA.
- Owusu, A., and Weir, C. (2014) ‘The Governance-Performance Relationship: Evidence from Ghana’. British Accounting and Finance Association 50th Anniversary Conference. Held 14-16 April 2014 in London, UK.
- Owusu, A. (2012) ‘Do Directors Underestimate the Adoption of Corporate Governance Provisions? A Survey Approach’. IMRA Emerging Markets Conference. Held 17-19 May 2012 in London, UK.
- Owusu, A. (2012) ‘Does the Adoption of Corporate Governance Really Matter to Firm Performance? Evidence from Ghana’. British Accounting and Finance Association. Held 16-18 April 2012 in Brighton/London, UK.
- Governance, Accountability and Ethics
Areas of expertise
- Corporate governance
- Financial Reporting
- Strategic Management Accounting