University can be an exciting time for students – you’re out in the world on your own and excited to experience living independently, but for some that can also be stressful. You can find advice and information below to help you explore and enjoy our wonderful campus and the surrounding area while also looking after yourself and those around you.
Here are a few general hints and tips you can use to stay safe while in the city:
- Always stay alert when walking alone.
- Try to avoid using your mobile phone, or headphones whilst walking alone, as it can impact the senses that alert you to danger.
- Plan your route in advance.
- Never leave personal items unattended in public spaces.
- Stay alert at cash machines and always hide your PIN.
- Mark your valuables with ultraviolet pens with your name and ID number (available from the Coventry University Protection Services).
- If you suspect you’re being followed, cross the road or enter a nearby shop and stay there until you are sure you are safe.
- If you see any suspicious activity, please contact campus security on either of the following two phone numbers:
+44 (0)24 7765 7363 - Assistance and general enquiries
+44 (0)24 7765 8555 (5555 from internal phones) - campus emergency hotline
Drink and Drugs
If you drink alcohol when you’re out with friends, it’s important to keep a few things in mind:
- Always eat before you head out to drink.
- Alternate between alcohol and soft drinks.
- Try and minimise the mixing of different types of alcohol.
- Know your limits and stick to them.
- Drink a glass of water when you get home and as soon as you get up the morning after.
Coventry University strongly discourages the use of illegal drugs. The possession of illegal drugs is a criminal offence, and possession with intent to supply is an even more serious offence.
The university will inform the police if any student is found to be using or in possession of any illegal drug (including cannabis) in any university owned or managed premises and the student will be disciplined.
Disciplinary action could result in fines, suspensions or even expulsion from the university.
It is good to remember that a drug conviction, even a caution can seriously impact your potential career and even foreign travel.
For more information on drink or drugs visit:
Coventry University Protection Services
The Coventry University Protection Services are here to ensure your time on campus is as safe as possible. They look after, and cater towards, all individuals who find themselves on campus, whether they’re students, staff or members of the public.
Available 24/7, 365 days a year, all officers are first aid trained, defibrillator trained, and mental health awareness trained, so no matter your situation, they’re equipped to help solve it.
The Protection Services provide a weekly Safety Roadshow, usually a Tuesday or Thursday, where you can ask questions and get updates on what they’re doing to help keep everyone safe. They can also provide you with UV marker pens, personal attack alarms and burglar alarm units.
You can contact the Protection Services, who staff their CCTV control centre 24/7 on either of the following two phone numbers:
- +44 (0)24 7765 7363 - Assistance and general enquiries
- +44 (0)24 7765 8555 (5555 from internal phones) - campus emergency hotline
Our officers do wear body armour, but don’t be concerned, they wear the armour as health and safety legislation states that all security personnel are to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as their body armour. Thanks to their vests and easily visible patches, all officers are clearly identifiable, so don’t hesitate to approach them for help if they’re patrolling around campus.
With uniformed security staff patrolling campus 24 hours a day and CCTV across the whole campus, you’re in safe hands. We have also introduced the SafeZone app to increase your safety on our campuses.
The first time you use the app, you will be asked to sign in using your university username and password.
If you have any issues logging into the app, please log a call with ITS and someone will assist you.
Coventry University is a founding member of ProtectED, which is a university membership organisation dedicated to ensuring the safety, security and wellbeing of all students throughout the country.
As a founding member of ProtectED we’re marking our commitment to your security and wellbeing so that you can live your best life while a student here.