Dr Kamila Kuc, PhD, MFA, MA, BA (Hons)
Course Director, Media Production BA (Hons)
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Kamila Kuc an experimental filmmaker, writer and curator. Her filmic works explore complex relationships between personal and collective memories, especially those which subvert the social and political identity constructions. She is interested in how film, as a technology of memory, can be seen as an innovative creator of memories themselves. Her films have screened in international venues and film festivals, including BFI and ICA (London), Experiments in Cinema (Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA), Haverhill Experimental Film Festival (Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA), Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival (Hawick, Scotland), Bucharest ShortCut Cinefest (Bucharest, Romania). Her 2015 film Rehearsal was nominated for the short film award at Blow-Up Arthouse Film Festival (Chicago, USA). Kuc is the 2016 Artist in Residence at Basement Films, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA.
She is the recipient of numerous international research and practice grants, namely Arts and Humanities Research Council and British Council, UK; New Mexico Arts, McCune Charitable Foundation and New Mexico Humanities Council (USA), among others. Kuc’s theoretical work evolves around the histories of avant-garde and experimental film and she has published widely on the subject. She has also curated programmes of experimental film internationally.
As a Course Director of Media Production (BA) Kuc is responsible for overseeing a dynamic team of research-oriented practitioners who encourage innovative ways of learning about media technologies. Kuc is a Module Leader on 201MC Professional Experience, which comprises of a series of workshops and masterclasses with artists, filmmakers, curators and writers. Kuc also contributes to 260 MC Placing Your Media Production in Context, 360MC Research and Development and 361MC Final Media Productions.
Selected outputs and publications
- Kuc, K. (2017) I Think You Should Come to America (work in progress)
- Kuc, K. (2016) Batum
- Kuc, K. (2015) Rehearsal
- Kuc, K. The Promises of Avant-Garde Film: Polish Experiments in Film from Expressionism to Constructivism. Bloomington: Indiana University Press [forthcoming]
- Kuc, K., and O’Pray (eds.) (2014) The Struggle for Form: Perspectives on Polish Avant-Garde Film, 1916-1989. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Kuc, K., and Adema, J. (2017) ‘unruly gestures: seven cine-paragraphs on reading/writing practices in our post-digital condition'’, a performative audio-visual essay. In Shifting Layers. New Perspectives in Media Archaeology Across Digital Media and Audiovisual Arts. Ed. by De Rosa, M., and Fales, L. Oxford: Mimesis International.
- Kuc, K. (2016) 'Ciné, ma vérité: Memory as a Creative Force in the Process of Constructing Subjectivities'. In Experiments in She-ness: women and undependent Cinema; Experiments in Cineama Yearbook 2016. Ed. by Konefsky, B., Camarena, D., and Beauchamp, A. Albuquerque: Basement Films
- Kuc, K., and O'Beirne, R. (Curators) (2016) Cinememory: Negotiating the Past Through Film. Seattle: Grand Illusion Cinema, 26 July 2016.
- Kuc, K. (Curator) (2016) Lyrical Flight From Reality: Playfulness and Humour in Experimental Film. London: Camden Arts Centre, 7 May 2016.
- Kuc, K., Zylinska, J., Shaw, J., Varney, R., and Wamposzyc, M. (Curators) Photomediations Open Book. (an innovative, open access online book of photography and media)