Assistant Professor in Photography
I am a senior lecturer working on B.A. Photography. I contribute across all levels on practice, theory and professional practice. Specifically, I lead on practice modules Community Culture and Identity, PICBOD. In addition to this, drawing from over fifteen years of experience as an editorial photographer, working for clients such as The telegraph magazine, Sunday Times, Marie Claire, Glamour and Red magazine, I also lead across-level professional mapping modules. I am a champion for internationalisation and intercultural learning. I have led on a number of (OIL) online international learning projects and organised a number of international student trips.
I am a senior fellow of the higher educational academy, the chief external examiner at the Institute of Photography at Falmouth University and a grant reviewer for the Leverhulme Trust. I write regularly for online publications, such as photomonitor and visual studies. I was selected to take part in the early career research (ECR) development program at Coventry University (2015-16) and was awarded an ECR research award. I was lead academic on 2 knowledge exchange enterprise network (KEEN) collaborative projects, with industry partners (2013-15).
Areas of expertise
- Visual ethnography
- Professional Mapping
- MA. RCA. Photography
- MA. Goldsmiths. Visual Anthropology
- PGCert. Higher Education, professional practice, Coventry University.
I am a part time MPHIL/PHD research student at Birkbeck, school of arts & humanities at the university of London. I am due to upgrade 2017. My working title of my thesis is Reimagined communities: the visual habitus of transcultural photographs. My practice Untouched Copy was featured at the JAIPURPHOTO festival (2017), alongside which I delivered a conference paper. The festival was featured in the British Journal of Photography Feb 2017. My body of work The emotional life of Transcultural photographs was exhibited as part of the Leverhulme funded Oxford Diaspora program, arts event (2014) and subsequent publication (2015). Previous work has been exhibited at Arles Photo festival and the festival of Women Photographers in Ireland.
Recent outputs and publications
Conference paper: Studio Cartographies: Auto-ethnography as a research methodology
- Jaipur Photo festival, India (2017)
- Conference paper: Reimagined communities: the visual habitus of transcultural photographs
- Format Photography festival, Derby (2017)
- International Conference for Photography and Theory: Photography and the Everyday, Nicosia, Cyprus (2016)
- Photography History Research Centre, De Montfort University, Leicester (2016)
- MeCCSA annual conference: Communities, Canterbury Christchurch University (2016)
- Lisbon Consortium cultural studies summer school (2016)