Dan Hopkins BA MA PGCHPE SFHEA
Course Director Media Production | Assistant Professor in Media Production
School of Media and Performing Arts, Faculty of Arts and Humanities.
I am the Course Director for BA (Hons) Media Production and also an Assistant Professor in Media Production.
I look after the day to day running of the course and also teach on BA (Hons) Film Production.
Current areas of specialty are working with the ever-changing Media/Film Production industry and supporting students to succeed in this industry.
Teaching areas of interest are Professional Practice, the grammar of storytelling, Experimentation in moving image.
Past Experiences and industry experience are in Short Filmmaking, Sound Design for Film and Installation.
I am also a practicing artist when the time allows.
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- MA Fine Art
- BA (Film & Video)
- Professional Practice, How to get your foot in the door of the Media Production Industry.
- The grammar of storytelling.
- Experimentation in moving image.
Outputs and Publications
- 2020: ‘Movement #6’ Short Film
- 2018: ‘Power’ (Made as part of treeline exhibition)
- 2017: ‘The most beautiful melodies of the century 4 RDC 91484’ (Made as part of ‘Transmission’ at Vivid Projects exhibition)
- 2017: ‘Colourblindness Film 1’
- 2017: Them & Us Short Film
- 2013: Music Video for Camp Stag – Walking with Broken Bones
- 2013: Music Video for Camp Stag – ‘Sirens’
- 2013: ‘Movement#4’ Short Film
- 2012: ‘Halocline’ short film for musician Loscil/Futuresequence Compilation
- 2011/12: Series of 4 short films for musician ‘Maps & Diagrams’
- 2011: ‘Movement#3’ Short Film
- 2010: ‘Movement#2’ Short Film
- 2009: ‘Movement#1’ Short Film
- 2009: ‘The Future is Blinding’ Music Video for Epic 45 For Japanese DVD Release
- 2008: Music Video for Herzoga, ‘Nice Car’ Released March 2008 on We Like Danger Records.
- 2006: ‘Fields that Speak’ short film based on rural landscapes in Somerset.
- 2005: ‘Flying’ Music video created for The Telescopes’ Released as part of EP Auditory Illusions on Double Agent Records.
- 2005: ‘Cultural Mapping’ Public Art Leicester. Commission to make 4 films and a DVD for Leicester City Council as part of a publication on the public art of Leicester. Arts Council of England funded. In collaboration with Axis Graphic Design. ISBN 0-9544504-2-6
- 2004: ‘Instant Jplug’ Music video for ‘Arcade’ Giant Stag/Experimental Seafood Records.
- 2004: ‘Xanexxx’ Music video for Mountain Men Anonymous. My Kung Fu Records.
- 2004: ‘Daddy's girl, Mama's boy’ Music video for Soulo. Plug Research Records.
- 2003: ‘A449/19 (Work in Progress)’ Completion of project that involved a short film of the same name.
- 2002: ‘Artificial Light’, Short Film about light pollution.
- 2002: ‘Plastic Decay’ Short film about the environment.
- 2000: 15 stings for Channel 4's 4later evening slot called 'Do Not Sleep' Produced by Presentable Productions.
- 2000: ‘Driven’ Short Film for Sgrîn Screen Gems Scheme. Produced by Jane Dauncey (Tumble Hill Productions) for Channel 4/British Screen/Arts Council of Wales.
- 1998: ‘Social Narcotics’ short graduate film. Shown on HTV Wales as Part of Exciting Film Futures Documentary. Also shown at Welsh Film Festival, Plymouth Start Film Festival.
Music Release Discography
- 2015: Four EP release on noground-r Records
- 2012: Infinite/Journeys/Travels/Stories LP on Futuresequence
- 2012: Sunrise/Dark on Rural Colours
- 2010: ‘The silhouette that the leaves make against the sky’ released on Feedback Loop
- 2010: ‘Homes’ released on noground-r Records
- 2007: ‘Unanswered Questions’ release on Split Femur Recordings
- 2006: ‘Takuma’ release on noground-r Records.
- 2005: ‘Broken EP’ release on First Person Records.
- 2005: ‘Distraction’ Split CD release with Fickle on noground-r Records.
- 2004: ‘Moving’ release on noground-r Records.
- 2003: A449/19 (Work in Progress) release on noground-r Records.
- 2002: ‘Orchard Crescent’ CD release with group ‘Know Point’ Self Released.
- 2002: Split 12” Record release as HL with artist PFM. On Cytherea Records.
- 2002: ‘digitalis’ CD release as Solo Act HL Self Released.
- 2019: Open Projections: Projection mapping event guest curator. Coventry Cathedral.
- 2018: Black Hole Club Closing Exhibition, Vivid Projects, Birmingham.
- 2018: ‘Dust Rising’ Exhibition, Sound Installation, Victoria Hall, Hanley, Stoke on Trent.
- 2018: ‘we don’t talk anymore 2’ Exhibition, Sound Performance, Stryx Gallery, Birmingham.
- 2018: Black Hole Club Launch Exhibition, Vivid Projects, Birmingham
- 2018: Treeline, Funded by ACE, A-N Newsletter, ‘biomimicry’ exhibition, Vivid Projects, Birmingham, UK
- 2017: Sound Performance as ‘Landcrash’, Centrala Arts Space, Birmingham, UK
- 2017: ‘we don’t talk anymore’ Exhibition, Sound Performance, The Wig, Birmingham, UK
- 2017: Black Hole Club Exhibition, ‘Dig me out of the woods’ Vivid Projects, Birmingham, UK
- 2017: Black Hole Club Exhibition ‘Transmission’ Vivid Projects, Birmingham, UK
- 2017: Them & Us shown at Loading Bay Cinema, Jewellery Quarter Festival, Birmingham, UK
- 2017: Them & Us shown at Suburbinale International Film Festival, Vienna, Austria.
- 2017: Them & Us shown at Another Way Film Festival, Madrid, Spain. (In Competition)
- 2017: Them & Us shown at Underground FilmFest, Various Touring, Munich, Germany. Reykjavîk Iceland.
- 2016-17: ‘Dust’ Exhibition to raise awareness of the City of Culture Bid in Stoke On Trent.
- 2015: Battle Lines curated Exhibition with 3 other artists. Film Them & Us Exhibited.
- 2014: Movement# 4 Shown at Film Winter, Stuttgart, Germany.
- 2013: Movement# 4 Shown at Aesthetica Short Film Festival
- 2013: Movement# 4 Shown at Naoussa International Film Festival, Greece
- 2013: Movement# 4 Shown at Portland Underground Film Festival. USA
- 2013: Movement# 4 Shown at Leiden Short Film Experience. Netherlands.
- 2013: Movement # 4 Shown at Australian Experimental Film Festival,
- 2012: Circa shown at Visoneca Experimental Film Festival, Isle of Wight, UK.
- 2012: Circa shown at 17 Days exhibition Atrium Gallery, Richmond Center for Visual Arts at Western Michigan University, USA
- 2011: Station Stories Live story telling in Manchester Piccadilly Train Station, Commissioned as Sound Artist.
- 2011: Movement#2 shown at moves 11 - International Festival of Movement on Screen, UK
- 2011: Movement#2 shown at Australian International Experimental Film Festival, AUS
- 2010: Movement#1 shown at Basement Media Festival, Boston, USA.
- 2010: Movement#1 shown at Naoussa International Film Festival, Greece.
- 2010: Movement#1 shown at Gaza's International Festival for Video Art 2010, Gaza.
- 2010: Movement#1 shown at Screening 1, The Public Gallery, Birmingham. UK
- 2010: Movement#1 shown at April Screening, VIP Gallery, Belgrade, Serbia.
- 2010: Movement#1 shown at Moves10, Bluecoat Gallery, Liverpool, UK.
- 2010: Movement#1 shown at Edinburgh International Film Festival, UK.
- 2010: Movement#1 Supported by the British Council for Distribution.
- 2010: Movement#1 Screened at Australian International Experimental Film Festival.
- 2009: Screening of various films on Souvenirs from Earth TV Channel. Germany/France.
- 2009: Movement#1 Screened at Galeria Interdyscyplinarna. Mikro_makro festival, Poland.
- 2009: Movement#1 Shown in Competition at Tirana International Film Festival, Albania.
- 2009: Movement#1 Shown in Competition at Namur Short Film Festival, Belgium.
- 2009: Live Music Performance at Futuresonic Festival, Manchester, UK
- 2008: Selected Films shown at Gallery FotoGrafic Prague, PLAN 9 Festival. Czech Republic
- 2008: Live Music Performance at Chorlton Arts Festival as Hurra caine Landcrash. Manchester.
- 2008: Live Music Performances at Blank Media Presents Manchester.
- 2007: ‘Fields that speak’ shown at Port Elliot Literature Festival. UK
- 2007: ‘Fields that speak’ shown as part of virtual residency exhibition at Handwerkergasse, Weltkulturerbe Völklinger Hütte, Europäisches Zentrum für Kunst und Industriekultur, Völklingen, Germany.
- 2007: Live Music Performance at Futuresonic Festival Manchester, UK
- 2007: Live Music Performance at ‘OnAir’ Airspace Gallery event, Stoke On Trent, UK
- 2006: Live video and music as No Ground Processes and HL at The Arctic Circle, Notting Hill Arts Club, London, UK.
- 2005: ‘A449/19 (Work in Progress)’ shown at 7th International Multimedia Art Festival IMAF 2005, Serbia.
- 2005: Film Performance at Q-Arts Gallery Derby, with the group ‘the telescopes’ As Part of Trigger 01 Event.
- 2005: Short film work ‘daddy’s girl mamma’s boy’ shown as part of the trampoline Nottingham - Berlin live link event.
- 2004: Selected Films shown at Ignition 2004, Live Art Event. Penzance, Cornwall, UK
- 2004: Plays with Lucky Dragons and YACHT, at the Talbot Hotel, Stoke On Trent, UK.
- 2004: Live Music Performance at Seven-Inch Cinema, Birmingham, UK.
- 2004: Live Music Performance with Greg Davis at the Talbot Hotel, Stoke on Trent. UK.
- 2003: Live Music Performance with Schneider TM, at The Sugarmill, Stoke on Trent, UK.
- 2003: A449/19 (Work in Progress), Video Installation, Fuel Exhibition. The Engine Room, Bridgewater, Somerset, UK.
- 2003: Live Music Performance with Keith Fullerton Whitman, At The Talbot Hotel, Stoke on Trent. UK.
- 2003: ‘Plastic Decay’, Short Film Shown at 4x4 Event at 291 Gallery, London.