Dr. Tom Williams
Tom Williams studied composition at Huddersfield and Keele Universities and completed his DMA in composition at Boston University.
His music has received numerous international performances and broadcasts; these include BBC Radio 3, SEAMUS (Miami & Iowa), Sonorities (Belfast), EMMF (Kansas & Chicago), Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, Expo (Manchester and Scarborough), ACMC (Wellington and Brisbane), Futura (France), Sonus and TES (Canada), NYCEMF (New York in 2011/13) and at ICMC conferences (NYC, Barcelona, New Orleans, Ljubljana, Belfast); and he has written for dance, theatre and education. The 2008 CD featuring his acousmatic work, Taking Shelter, was described as having "detailed acousmatic works in the great UK tradition of restraint and passion" (Kevin Austin). His 5.1 composition Can was premiered in Noisefloor 2010, with performances in Cardiff at SAW, NYC-EMF, ICMC Stony Brook, Weimar New Music Festival, and at the Festival of New Music, Udine, Italy - where it won the Special Mention and medal of the Senato della Repubblica Italiana for the “electro-acoustic music” section of the VIII International Contemporary Music Contest "Città di Udine". Tom Williams was a prizewinner of the ALEA III 1993 composition competition for his piano and tape piece Ironwork; his acousmatic work Break was a finalist of 2004 Music Viva, and Shelter received an honourable mention in Bourge, IMEB 2006. Recent compositions include the dance video work, Voice (a retracing); Leaf for hulusi, and electronics, Rip Tide (solo piano, Philip Mead) and Dart premiered by the ‘cello innovator’ Madeleine Shapiro in New York in 2012, and is currently under production for a 2013 Madeleine Shapiro CD.
- Dart: Cello, digital delays and fixed media. Commissioned by the cellist Madeleine Shapiro.
- Voice (a retracing): Video Paper title: Voice (a Retracing): an Emerging Lexicon.
- Wire & Wind: Format: 5.1, Acousmatic.
- Shelter: Format: acousmatic.
- Rip Tide : Format: solo piano (piano: Philip Mead).
- Ironwork : Format: piano and tape (piano: David Arden).
- Leaf: Format: hulusi, digital delays and fixed media.
- Like Oranges : Format: song cycle, mezzo soprano and fixed media (sop. Nicola Walker Smith).