Professor Bruce Baker
Bruce Baker is Professor of African Security. His research and publications cover African policing (see www.africanpolicing.org) security and justice reform, local justice and governance. His last book,Security in Post-conflict Africa: The Role of Non-State Policing (CRC Press 2009) won the American Society of Criminology's Prize for Best Book in Comparative and International Criminology 2010).
He has undertaken research and consultancies in Zimbabwe, Mozambique, South Africa, Rwanda, Uganda, The Gambia, Sierra Leone, Cape Verde, Seychelles, Liberia, South Sudan, Comoros, Madagascar, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Kenya and Afghanistan.
He is a Senior Security and Justice Advisor for the British government’s Civilian Stabilisation Group and is senior editor of The International Policing book series (CRC Press).
- Baker, B. (2010) Security in Post-conflict Africa: The Role of Non-State Policing. Boca Raton: CRC Press.
- Baker, B. (2008) 'Beyond the tarmac road: local forms of policing in Sierra Leone and Rwanda'. Review of African Political Economy 35 (118), 555-570.
- Baker, B. (2010) 'Resource constraint and policy in Liberia's post-conflict policing'. Police Practice and Research 11 (3), 184-196.
- Baker, B. (2011) 'Justice for survivors of sexual violence in Kitgum, Uganda'. Journal of Contemporary African Studies 29 (3), 245-262.
- Baker, B. (2010) 'Linking State and Non-State Security and Justice'. Development Policy Review 28 (5), 597-616.
- Baker, B. (2013) 'Where Formal and Informal Justice Meet: Ethiopia’s Justice Pluralism'.African Journal of International and Comparative Law 21 (2), 202-218.
- Baker, B. (2006) 'Cape Verde: The Most Democratic Nation in Africa?'. Journal of Modern African Studies 44 (4), 493-511.
- Baker, B. (2008) 'Seychelles: democratising in the shadows of the past'. Journal of Contemporary African Studies 26 (3), 279-293.
- Baker, B. (2009) 'Comoros: The Search for Viability'. Civil Wars 11 (3), 215-233.
- Baker, B. (2011) 'Justice and Security Architecture in Africa: The Plans, The Bricks, The Purse and The Builder'. Journal of Legal Pluralism and Unofficial Law 43 (63), 25-48.
- ESRC research fellow: ‘Multilateral policing in Africa: its nature and socio-political impact in Uganda and Sierra Leone’, 2003-5.
- ESRC research grant: ‘Multichoice policing resources for post-conflict situations: Rwanda and Liberia’, 2006-7.
- EU: Migration4 Development, Irregular Migration: Filling the Information Gap.
- HMG Stabilisation Unit: Community Security and Justice Programme (Ethiopia) design team 2011-12.
- HMG Stabilisation Unit: Security and Justice for the Poor Programme (Kenya) scoping team 2012.
- British Academy Grant: The Governance of Sexual Violence in Uganda, 2009.
- British Academy Grant: ‘The Quality and determinants of Governance in Cape Verde’, 2008.
- FID/USAID commissioned research: ‘Non-state policing in Southern Sudan’, 2007.
- British Academy grant: ‘An evaluation of the effectiveness of police local partnership boards in Sierra Leone, 2006.
- British Academy grant: ‘The impact of policing in Mozambique on democratic institutions’, 2002.