Dr. James Shaw-Stewart
MY RESEARCH VISION
Public research into laser printing (LIFT) of organic light-emitting diode pixels is timely due to the growth of commercially-available OLED displays. The novelty of the research is the laser-printing of thin films, and the aim of the research was both to improve the LIFT technique and to understand the physics behind the process. The best results demonstrate the improvements in the OLED devices fabricated by LIFT, and the future potential of the process, but I also developed the conceptual model of fluid mechanics during the LIFT process. My focus has now shifted to fluid mechanics applied to hydrocarbon reservoirs
Building: George Eliot
My undergraduate at Cambridge University (2004-2008) was in Natural Sciences, starting on a physical sciences track. After studying maths, chemistry, and plant sciences, I focussed on geological sciences. For my masters thesis (MSci), I narrowed my focus further to mineral science, looking at the structural, mechanical, and magnetic properties of magnetite at low temperatures under Professor Carpenter and Dr Harrison.
I moved to Switzerland for my PhD at ETH Zurich (2008-2011), and also moved fields into materials science with a technological application, studying laser printing of OLEDs, which has provided the basis for my REF submission. I studied under Professor Nüesch at EMPA in the Laboratory for Functional Polymer, and Professors Wokaun and Lippert at PSI in the Materials Group where I carried out the laser printing experiments.
For my postdoc (2012-2013) I changed research fields again, back to geology with application to hydrocarbon extraction, looking at how carbonate geology controls oil habitat. I have worked primarily under Professor Wood at Edinburgh, in conjunction with Professors Geiger and Corbett at Heriot-Watt, in the International Centre for Carbonate Reservoirs, sponsored by PetroBras and BG Group. I am continuing in this field for my senior lectureship at Coventry University.
- Shaw-Stewart, J., Lippert, T., Nagel, M., Nüesch, F., and Wokaun, A. (2012) 'Red-green-blue polymer light-emitting diode pixels printed by optimized laser-induced forward transfer'. Applied Physics Letters 100, 203303-203304.
- Shaw-Stewart, J., Lippert, T., Nagel, M., Nüesch,F., and Wokaun, A. (2011) 'Laser-induced forward transfer of polymer light-emitting diode pixels with increased charge injection'. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 3 (2), 309-316.
- Shaw-Stewart, J.R.H., Lippert, T.K., Nagel, M., Nüesch, F.A., and Wokaun, A. (2012) 'Sequential printing by laser-induced forward transfer to fabricate a polymer light-emitting diode pixel'. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 4 (7), 3535-3541.
- Wang, H.A.O., Grolimund, D., Giesen, C., Borca, C.N., Shaw-Stewart, J.R.H., Bodenmiller, B., and Gunther, D. (2013) 'Fast Chemical Imaging at High Spatial Resolution by Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry'. Analytical Chemistry 85, 10107-10116.
- Shaw-Stewart, J., Chu, B., Lippert, T., Maniglio, Y., Nagel, M., Nüesch, F., and Wokaun, A. (2013) 'Improved laser-induced forward transfer of organic semiconductor thin films by reducing the environmental pressure and controlling the substrate-substrate gap width'. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing 105, 713-722.
- Shaw-Stewart, J.R.H., Mattle, T., Lippert, T.K., Nagel, M., Nuesch, F.A., and Wokaun, A. (2013) 'The fabrication of small molecule organic light-emitting diode pixels by laser-induced forward transfer'. Journal of Applied Physics 113, 043104-043107.
- Palla-Papavlu, A., Dinca, V., Paraico, I., Moldovan, A., Shaw-Stewart, J., Schneider, C.W., Kovacs, E., Lippert, T., and Dinescu, M. (2010) 'Microfabrication of polystyrene microbead arrays by laser induced forward transfer'. Journal of Applied Physics 108, 033111-033116.
- Shaw-Stewart, J.R.H., Lippert, T., Nagel, M., Nuesch, F., and Wokaun, A. (2012) 'A simple model for flyer velocity from laser-induced forward transfer with a dynamic release layer'. Applied Surface Science 258, 9309-9313.
- Shaw-Stewart, J., Fardel, R., Nagel, M., Delaporte, P., Rapp, L., Cibert, C., Alloncle, A.-P., Nuesch, F., Lippert, T., and Wokaun, A. (2010) 'The effect of laser pulse length upon laser-induced forward transfer using a triazene polymer as a dynamic release layer'. Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials 12, 605-609.
- Dinca, V., Fardel, R., Shaw-Stewart, J., Di Pietrantonio, F., Cannata, D., Benetti, M., Verona, E., Palla Papavlu, A., Dinescu, M., and Lippert, T. (2010) 'Laser-Induced Forward Transfer: An Approach to Single-Step Polymer Microsensor Fabrication'. Sensor Letters 8, 436-440.
- HABITAT: International Centre for Carbonate Reservoirs, sponsored by PetroBras and BG Group.
- e-LIFT: An EU funded collaborative project on LIFT.
- Laser-Induced Transfer for the Fabrication of Patterned Organic Light-Emitting Diodes: A Swiss National Science Foundation project for my PhD studentship.