Embedding professional experience into your master’s
Professional experience gives you the opportunity to develop practical skills that could benefit your future employability, and could help you to put into practice the theory and knowledge learned during your course.
In light of these potential benefits, Coventry Business School have added a professional experience option to a number of our master’s programmes, providing you with the opportunity to put theory into practice through the addition of professional experience to your one-year master’s programme. When professional experience is added, your master’s programme would extend to run over a total of two years, as typically a professional experience placement will last for around a year (48 weeks).
During your first semester, we can help you to identify, prepare and apply for a range of professional experience opportunities with the support of our employability and placements team. If you are successful in securing one, then, as the table below shows, you would begin your professional experience during semester three.
|1 year master's||2 year master's wih professional experience|
|Semester one||core modules||core modules|
|Semester two||core modules||core modules|
|Semester three||core modules and project||professional experience|
|Semester four||professional experience|
|Semester five||professional experience|
|Semester six||core modules and project|
- The placement year will incur an additional fee of £4000, to be invoiced separately only when your placement is secured and tier 4 visa extended if required. To extend your master’s with the professional experience option, you will need to prove you have secured a tier 4 visa extension through the submission of relevant paperwork.
- Placement opportunities may be subject to additional costs, visa requirements being met and subject to availability and/or a competitive application process.
- Professional experience opportunities are not guaranteed and you will be responsible for securing your own professional opportunity, however you will benefit from the support of our employability and placements team in trying to identify an opportunity.
- If you change your mind or are unable to secure professional experience, you can still complete your master’s in the first year.
- Master’s courses with the professional experience option are available to UK, EU and international students.
- Professional experience modules take place in semesters three to five, and are assessed on a pass/fail basis.
- Master’s courses with the professional experience option are designed to be fully tier 4 Visa compliant, subject to you successfully extending your visa.
- During your professional experience, you will be supported by an academic supervisor as well as our employability team.