Saturday Art Club
The National Saturday Club at Coventry University offers Club members a unique opportunity to build new skills and develop creative confidence in a range of art-forms and with artists from a wide variety of backgrounds, in a nurturing and non-pressured environment.
Members have the opportunity to experience and use state-of-the-art facilities and receive expert tuition from Coventry University’s tutors and students. Club members also take part in national events including Masterclasses with leading industry professionals and the Summer Show, where Saturday Clubs nationwide exhibit their work in a public exhibition – all for free!
At Coventry University, classes are taught at the School of Art and Design. We explore a range of different disciplines, such as painting, drawing, illustration, graphic design, model making, metalwork, ceramics, printmaking, typography, photography, textiles, and digital design.
Recent projects have included creating environments and creatures, costume and character drawing, visual storytelling, creating zines and comic book art, portraiture, product design, communication and protest though visual media. Last year our members also took part in the project ‘Design in an Age of Crisis’ and showcased their work at The London Design Biennale. Our club members have also participated in The Coventry Sketchbook Project and related events for Coventry UK City of Culture.
The National Saturday Club now has over 50 clubs located across the UK. As well as more than 100 hours of specialist tuition, young people also benefit from visits to museums and galleries, Masterclasses from leading art and design practitioners and an exhibition of their work at London's Somerset House.
Recent masterclasses include:
- Behind the scenes of ‘Alice: Curiouser and Curiouser’ - Masterclass with the V&A
- Figures in Isolation – Masterclass with Artist Antony Gormley
- Tate Eggschange, Architectural Masterclass with Scale Rule
- Automotive Design Challenge – Project with the Coventry Transport Museum
- Art can be Rubbish – City of Culture Coventry project with Artist Rob Hamp
The Saturday Art Club gives me opportunities to explore a subject that I love, with other like-minded people, which I am unable to do at school.
My Saturday Club has made me more confident in every piece of work I do. I’ve learned to work with my failure, instead of giving up.
Club timings: Saturdays in term time, 10.00am to 1pm
Start Date: TBC
Location: Coventry University - Art and Design Studios, Foleshill Rd, Coventry, CV1 4NR
How will the club run this year?
- In the first instance, face to face sessions will take place at our University campus. We will be following a thorough risk assessment and adhering to Government and University guidelines.
- Should the current guidelines change, we are fully set up to run sessions via a secure online platform which can be accessed on PC/tablet/mobile or even dialled in via mobile. Club activity was conducted online in 2020/21 and it worked well.
- We will keep communication open with parents/guardians to update you on any developments or changes we make.
How to apply for our Saturday Clubs:
Applications for the 2021-22 academic year are now open. Please complete our online application form.
On average 30% of National Saturday Art club members’ progress on to diploma, foundation or undergraduate courses, highlighting the progressive impact the club has on its members.