Business and Marketing BA (Hons)
UCAS Code: NNF5
International Code: FBLU097
Coventry University (Coventry)
3 years full-time
4 years sandwich
We are reviewing this course for 2023-24 entry and the validated module information will be added shortly. Please keep checking back on this course page to see our latest updates.
Study level: Undergraduate
This course focuses on developing your expertise in business management and the more specific function of marketing, which focuses on the key theories and practices across global multi-national organisations, national public and private sectors, small-medium enterprises (SMEs), non-profits, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and charities.
The Business and Marketing BA (Hons) course aims to provide a solid understanding of areas such as business planning and management, alongside specialist marketing skills for potential careers in category management, marketing, customer insight, business development, sales and corporate communications. This course aims to:
- Give you the confidence and business acumen necessary to develop, position and build businesses in the most strategically effective way.
- Develop a solid understanding of business analysis, marketing planning and management, including exploring topics such as leadership, alongside specialist marketing skills, such as understanding customer behaviour, developing creative solutions and promoting competitive advantage.
- Hone a broad range of practical and transferrable skills – creative, analytical, interpersonal and communications.
Global ReadyAn international outlook, with global opportunities
Teaching excellenceTaught by lecturers who are experts in their field
EmployabilityCareer ready graduates, with the skills to succeed
Why you should study this course
- Real world applications - a distinctive feature of this course is the focus on real-world engagement and authentic assessments in a range of business and marketing situations. The course aims to offer you the opportunity to work on live projects and case studies from local and international organisations2 and possibly participate in Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) projects2. Your business skills are further developed s through simulation games, role-play activities, and scenario-based learning by putting theory into practice4.
- Highly flexible and transferable course options - this course is part of a suite of marketing courses that share a common first year, this enables you to gain a broad understanding of business and management concepts and practice before continuing your chosen specialism.
- DigiComm Lab4 - our DigiComm Lab supports and develops your digital literacy skills through using industry standard marketing platforms and software.
- Prepare for your future - prepare for a future career in business and marketing with a work placement2. Past students have secured placements at IBM, L'Oreal, Rolls Royce and Warner Brothers.
- Real-world insights and professional network development - you will be presented with opportunities to experience presentations and networking opportunities with practitioners, from both global businesses and small, niche advertising agencies, together with both real and virtual field trips2.
Accreditation for this course is being renewed as we are making some changes to our modules. This exciting new course is subject to approval from Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM).*
I feel a lot more confident in myself due to varying factors including things such as being on a first name basis with lecturers and tutors, and the genuine care from these lecturers to ensure we achieve the grade we can.
How you'll learn
Theory and practice-based lectures and seminars aim to develop your knowledge of a range of marketing topics, supported by a suite of industry-based software and hardware4.
There will also be opportunities to:
- Explore consumer behaviour and analysis, and have the opportunity to learn how this insight and more can be used to inform the planning and implementation of marketing programmes.
- Take part in group projects designed to develop advertising campaigns and hone your analytical skills using simulation games, such as marketing management games4 designed to develop your understanding and command of the marketing planning process.
- Expand your skills and knowledge of the development and operation of business markets, entrepreneurship and the management of key resources, including human capital, financial management, strategic management, corporate social responsibility and organisational change.
Teaching contact hours
We understand that everyone learns differently, so each of our courses will consist of structured teaching sessions, which can include:
- On campus lectures, seminars and workshops
- Group work
- Self-directed learning
- Work placement opportunities.
If you would like more information, you can request information about teaching hours.
Part of university life is undertaking self-directed learning. During a typical week you will have time that allows you to work independently to apply the skills and knowledge you have learnt in taught or facilitated sessions to your projects or assignment briefs. This self-directed learning allows you to use your research skills, consolidate your knowledge or undertake collaborative group work.
As an innovative and enterprising institution, the university may seek to utilise emerging technologies within the student experience. For all courses (whether on-campus, blended, or distance learning), the university may deliver certain contact hours and assessments via online technologies and methods.
This course will be assessed using a variety of methods which will vary depending upon the module.
Assessment methods include:
- Formal examinations
- Phase tests
- Group work
- Individual Assignments
The Coventry University Group assessment strategy ensures that our courses are fairly assessed and allows us to monitor student progression towards achieving the intended learning outcomes.
International experience opportunities
The fundamental nature of this course is international in its outlook, drawing on marketing and business best practice from around the world. We currently have long-running collaborations with KH Leuven in Belgium, School for Higher and Professional Education (SHAPE) in Hong Kong and PSB Academy in Singapore. We aim to run a number of Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) projects on the course, which enables you the opportunity to work with students across the world on a live project tackling a specific marketing challenge in global virtual and multicultural teams2.
In the past, previous students have worked with peers in the USA, South America, India and many European countries undertaking business challenges as part of the international X-Culture competition.
Throughout the course, there will be opportunities to visit relevant companies giving you the chance to gain a real-life experience in marketing, both at home and abroad2.
This is a broad-based course, designed to develop knowledge in broader management functions, with more specialised skills in a range of marketing areas. It is an ideal course for those seeking to develop a broad range of skills and knowledge, to create more flexibility in future careers.
Typical offer for 2023 entry.
|Requirement||What we're looking for|
|GCSE||Minimum 5 GCSE's graded 9-4 / A* - C including English and Maths|
|IB Diploma||24 points|
We recognise a breadth of qualifications, speak to one of our advisers today to find out how we can help you.
Select your region to find detailed information about entry requirements:
You can view our full list of country specific entry requirements on our Entry requirements page.
If you do not have the typical entry requirements, you may want to consider studying this course with an International Foundation Year. Upon successful completion our International Foundation Year - Business will provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to progress onto this undergraduate degree.
Alternatively, visit our International hub for further advice and guidance on finding in-country agents and representatives, joining our in-country events and how to apply.
English language requirements
- IELTS: 6.0 overall, with at least 5.5 in each component area.
If you don't meet the English language requirements, you can achieve the level you need by successfully completing a pre-sessional English programme before you start your course.
For more information on our approved English language tests visit our English language requirements page.
Fees and funding
|Student||Full time||Part time|
|UK||TBC per year||Not available|
|International||TBC per year||Not available|
If you choose to do a work placement2, you should consider travel and living costs to cover this. There is also a tuition fee3 of £1,250 that will cover your academic support throughout your placement year.
For advice and guidance on tuition fees and student loans visit our Undergraduate Finance page and see The University’s Tuition Fee and Refund Terms and Conditions.
We offer a range of International scholarships to students all over the world. For more information, visit our International Scholarships page.
Tuition fees cover the cost of your teaching, assessments, facilities and support services. There may be additional costs not covered by this fee such as accommodation and living costs, recommended reading books, stationery, printing and re-assessments should you need them. Find out what's included in your tuition costs.
We have a range of facilities4 available to support our Business and Marketing students in putting the theories you are taught, into practice.
Designed to build creative minds, the DigiComm Lab is currently equipped with the latest industry-standard marketing and advertising software and devices to support your creative development.
Coventry Business School's Business Simulation Suite utilises the latest business simulation software to give students the opportunity to improve their business skills.
Our dedicated Talent Team can assist you in applying for work placements, graduate level jobs and offer skills development workshops. They also organise networking events to introduce you to potential employers and industry contacts.
Careers and opportunities
On successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Apply appropriate business concepts, models or techniques to analyse marketing problems.
- Source, analyse and apply appropriate marketing information to support decision making.
- Present ideas and findings and communicate effectively to an audience in written, verbal or electronic format, using appropriate business media and IT applications.
- Identify and analyse relevant sources of marketing information and research techniques across different contexts and cultures.
- Appreciate current contemporary issues including sustainability, ethics and CSR in marketing and digital marketing.
- Effectively use specialist tools in digital and social media marketing using appropriate software4.
- Apply appropriate techniques to solve a range of different business management problems, including those of a financial nature.
Our Business and Marketing BA aims to provide a highly flexible degree, which can easily facilitate entrance into general business management roles, or act as a springboard for roles as a sales manager, category manager, market research manager or a marketing manager. You will develop a critical and reflective understanding of marketing and its relationship with the wider international business environment. It could lead to potential future specialist career options in such areas as advertising, digital marketing and project coordination, as well as more general roles in business analysis, project management or sales management.
Through completing the degree you will gain expertise and confidence in search engine optimisation, content management, creative integrated communications, social media marketing, big data analysis, campaign planning and channel management as well as knowledge and application of key concepts and practice within the broader marketing discipline. In previous years students have secured roles at companies such as IBM, L’Oreal, Rolls Royce and Warner Brothers.
Where our graduates work
Some of our past graduates have gone on to a range of careers in marketing, advertising, PR, brand management, marketing research, digital marketing, sales and general management, with a wide range of large and small organisations such as Disney, Virgin Media, Dell, PepsiCo and Network Rail.
Upon successful completion of our Business and Marketing BA (Hons) course, you may wish to continue to further your studies at postgraduate level. You can do that right here at Coventry University, with our Master of Business Administration (Marketing). Studied on campus or 100% online, our MBA with Marketing specialism course looks in detail at topics such as strategy, digital and offline marketing, planning and management.
We also offer alternative postgraduate degrees if you decide to take a slightly different route. You can explore all of your options using our postgraduate course search tool. You may be entitled to an alumni discount on your fees if you decide to extend your time with us by progressing from undergraduate to postgraduate study.
I successfully landed a brand marketing placement role at Johnson & Johnson, a global health care company. This was a fantastic company to immerse myself into the workplace and learn how to manage brands, plan campaigns and work effectively with agencies. Having this work experience also made me more attractive to graduate employers and I could prove I not only had the academic knowledge of marketing but the relevant work experience too.
How to apply
Full-time students applying to start in September 2023 can apply for this course through UCAS from 6 September 2022.
Part-time students should apply directly to the university. Read our application pages to find out your next steps to apply.
If you'd like further support or more information about your course get in touch with us today.
Full-time students applying to start in September 2023 should apply directly to the university. Applications are due to be open in June 2022, so please return to this page to fill out your application.How to apply
For further support for international applicants applying for an undergraduate degree view our International hub.
You can also download our International guide which contains lots of useful information about our courses, accommodation and tips for travel.
Get in touch with us today for further advice and guidance.
Discover Uni stats
The majority of our courses have been formally recognised by professional bodies, which means the courses have been reviewed and tested to ensure they reach a set standard. In some instances, studying on an accredited course can give you additional benefits such as exemptions from professional exams (subject to availability, fees may apply). Accreditations, partnerships, exemptions and memberships shall be renewed in accordance with the relevant bodies’ standard review process and subject to the university maintaining the same high standards of course delivery.
*In the event that there is any delay in obtaining approval, we will run Business and Marketing BA (Hons) for 2022-23 which has already been accredited by Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM).
2UK and international opportunities
Please note that we are unable to guarantee any UK or International opportunities (whether required or optional) such as internships, work experience, field trips, conferences, placements or study abroad opportunities and that all such opportunities may be subject to additional costs (which could include, but is not limited to, equipment, materials, bench fees, studio or facilities hire, travel, accommodation and visas), competitive application, availability and/or meeting any applicable travel COVID and visa requirements. To ensure that you fully understand the visa requirements, please contact the International Office.
The University will charge the tuition fees that are stated in the above table for the first Academic Year of study. The University will review tuition fees each year. For Home Students, if Parliament permit an increase in tuition fees, the University may increase fees for each subsequent year of study in line with any such changes. Note that any increase is expected to be in line with inflation.
For International Students, we may increase fees each year but such increases will be no more than 5% above inflation. If you defer your course start date or have to extend your studies beyond the normal duration of the course (e.g. to repeat a year or resit examinations) the University reserves the right to charge you fees at a higher rate and/or in accordance with any legislative changes during the additional period of study.
Facilities are subject to availability. Due to the ongoing restrictions relating to COVID-19, some facilities (including some teaching and learning spaces) may vary from those advertised and may have reduced availability or restrictions on their use.
By accepting your offer of a place and enrolling with us, a Student Contract will be formed between you and the university. The 2022/23 Contract is currently being updated so please revisit this page before submitting your application. The Contract details your rights and the obligations you will be bound by during your time as a student and contains the obligations that the university will owe to you. You should read the Contract before you accept an offer of a place and before you enrol at the university.