John was born in Blackpool in 1954; he studied at the Royal College of Art and worked a ‘war artist’ commissioned by the Imperial War Museum, taught at a number of art colleges in the UK. Since 1996 he has been Head of Department of Design and Visual Arts at Coventry University School of Art and Design.
He has exhibited widely in UK and abroad, with works in a number of public and private collections, including the Unilever Collection, Ocean Transport and Trade PLC, Coventry University, The Imperial War Museum, British Council collections in Oviedo and Las Palmas.
His exhibitions and accolades include:
1995: ‘The Discerning Eye Exhibition: Mall Galleries London’ selected by David Lee
1995: Exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery as part of the BP Portrait award: Painting entitled: ‘In the house of the cellist’
2005: Shortlisted for the Garrick Milne Prize for Theatrical Portraiture: Painting entitled: ‘The juvenile lead’
2013: Most recently, shortlisted for the BP Portrait award 2013. Painting entitled ‘The uncertain time’
- Devane, J. (2013) The uncertain time [Finalist] '2013 BP Portrait Award'. Held 20 Jun-15 Sep 2013 in London, UK. Available from http://bit.ly/1243eED
- Co- Curated Exhibition entitled: ‘Drawing Breath’. Drawing Breath/ Respirar Arte Dates: 13thSep 08 – 15th Oct 08 inclusive Venue: Lugar do Desennho, Fundacao Julio Resende, Rua Pintor Julio Resende, 3464420 Gondomar Porto
- Paper Presentation at TRAC 2012 The Representational Art Conference 2012: Ventura Beach California 14th 17th October 2012. ‘Competence, craft and crisis in representational art’
- Devane, J. (2012) Head and Whole Exhibition [group exhibition]. Held 2012 in Abbey Walk Gallery, Grimsby, UK
- ‘Fragments of truth: The status of the original work of art in the digital age’. Paper was presented by John Devane at Sydney College of Art (SCA), University of Sydney in Australia on 28/07/2010 as part of the 5th International Conference of Arts in Society.
- Devane, J. (2013) Paintings: works by John Devane [solo exhibition]. Held 13 Sep-04 Oct 2013 at the Lewis Gallery, Rugby, UK
- Devane, J. (2001) Good and Bad Government. Held 01-26 Oct 2001 in The Library Gallery, University of Warwick, UK
- Devane, J. (2010) John Devane: Solo Show. Paintings. Held 15 Mar-09 Apr 2010 in Gallery 150, Leamington Spa, UK
- Devane, J. (1982) The Alternative Tate [group exhibition]. Held 1982 in the Paton Gallery, London, UK.
- Pmi2 Coventry University with Kookmin University Seoul South Korea: Development of dual award in MA International Contemporary Arts Practice.
- DelPHI Project: PI Kate Quantrell Registrar and Secretary Coventry University. John Devane:Participant in this funded project to advise Saahaddin University-Erbil Kurdistan on Quality Assurance matters relating to Art & Design.
- Terry Atkinson Anthology: Currently working with Terry Atkinson, Prof Steve Dutton Lincoln University and Dr. Neil Mulholland of Edinburgh to publish papers and essays by artist Terry Atkinson.
- Head & Whole: Project – curated exhibitions in 2011 and 2012 by Linda Ingham and John Devane, participant in this ongoing research project based at the Abbey Walk Gallery in Grimsby.
- ‘400 Women Exhibition’: One painting included in this exhibition of 175 paintings Curated by Tamsin Challenger aimed at raising consciousness about the plight of missing women in Mexico.