Health and Safety Information
The University Group recognises the importance of providing and maintaining a safe and healthy environment within which all can teach, study, research and pursue the University's other business interests. It is committed to implementing an effective and sensible risk management system for all its activities.
Sensible risk management is concerned with:
- Enabling innovation and learning and not stifling them;
- Ensuring that workers and the public are properly protected;
- Providing overall benefit to society by balancing benefits and risks, with a focus on reducing real risks - those arising more often and those with serious consequences;
- Ensuring that those who create risks manage them responsibly and understand that failure to manage real risks appropriately is likely to lead to robust action;
- Enabling individuals to understand that as well as the right to protection, they also have to exercise responsibility.
The Group’s risk management system is based upon good practice as described in the USHA/UCEA document Leadership and Management of Health and Safety in Higher Education Institutions and the Health and Safety Management Profile audit standard.
The Health and Safety Policy Statement (PDF, 719KB) sets out Coventry University Group's commitment to ensure the effective and beneficial management of health and safety risks arising from its diverse and wide-ranging activities as a provider of high quality education and with a focus on applied research. The detail of our mandated control standards and the responsibilities of staff is further detailed in the Health and Safety Policy which is available on request from the Safety and Risk Management team.
The overall responsibility for ensuring implementation of the policy lies with Board of Governors and the Vice-Chancellor.
The Safety and Risk Management team provides guidance and support to management across the University Group in discharging their legal duties towards health and safety.
They do so by working with staff and students to promote a positive health and safety culture; providing guidance and policy, investigating incidents, delivering training and auditing compliance.
Their remit includes all health, safety and fire matters and they also co-ordinate the University Group’s emergency planning and business continuity arrangements.
For enquires regarding health and safety contact the team:
Telephone: +44 (0) 24 7765 7341