Protection & Safety
University Protection Services
Protection services is a dedicated crime prevention team based on campus, who supply Ultraviolet (UV) marker pens, personal attack alarms and burglar alarm units to students. The team will make special visits to student accommodation houses to give free advice about security, you can contact Protection on 024 7765 7363.
The team has a 24/7 response to incidents on campus or in University-owned accommodation and they staff a campus-wide CCTV surveillance system. If you are concerned about anything on campus call the emergency hotline on 024 7765 8555 (5555 on internal phones).
Police Liaison Officer
A member of West Midlands Police Force works closely with the University’s Protection Service helping to keep students safe on campus. You can contact the Police Liaison Officer on 024 7679 5967 or visit their office in the foyer of the Richard Crossman Building.
Below is some general advice on how to stay safe and keep your belongings secure.
- Apply the same safety rules for your time at Coventry and the wider UK as you would at home. However, also be aware that some things which are safe at home might not be safe in the UK. For example, walking home alone at night may be very safe in a quiet village in your country, but should be avoided in a big UK city like Coventry.
- Be careful when crossing roads, and remember that vehicles in the UK drive on the left. Look both ways before crossing and take headphones out so that you can hear oncoming traffic.
- Avoid carrying your wallet in your back pocket and be aware when carrying bags in a busy place. Do not carry valuable items in outer pockets of your bags, to avoid theft.
- Avoid using ATMs (cash machines) at night if you can. If you have to use one, try to go with friends and if you see anyone or anything suspicious, don’t withdraw any money. Wherever possible, use the machines within bank buildings during the day.
- Most of the city centre and campus is covered by CCTV and is well lit, but at night you should walk together in groups on well-lit roads. Avoid dimly lit areas. If you are planning to take a taxi, book it before you go out, or take the number of a licensed taxi company with you. Black 'London-style' cabs operate in Coventry city centre and have a yellow license plate issued by Coventry City Council on the back of the vehicle. On nights out always think about how you will get home and make sure no one gets left alone
- Avoid carrying your wallet in your back pocket. When carrying bags, try to have the opening facing in to your body – this makes it harder for someone to grab something from inside your bag.
- Avoid using ATMs at night, but if you have to use one, try to go with friends and if you see anyone suspicious, don’t withdraw any money. Wherever possible, use the ones within the bank branches during the day.
- We recommend you take out insurance cover for your property whilst at University. Personalise valuable items so they are easily recognised. Take photographs of those items and label them with ‘Coventry University’ and your student ID number using a UV pen, which you can get from the police. Register your valuables on a national database for free online.
- The University operates a cycle-watch scheme, which reduces cycle theft across the campus. Always lock your bicycle up when you leave it using a good quality D-lock (such as Sold Secure approved) and dedicated cycle locking areas or use the secure cycle storage (contact Estates on 024 7765 7272).
- Do not disclose confidential information to strangers. Companies like banks and insurance companies will never ask you for your account password in full or your PIN over the phone. If you receive a call or e-mail asking for your bank account details, report this to your bank directly.
- Before you go out ensure that all windows are closed and doors are locked.
- Don’t leave valuable items on display in your house or car.
- Keep a photocopy of your visa and your passport separate from your original documents, and avoid using them as proof of ID, for example on nights out.
- Don’t let anyone into your house or flat if you don’t know them. University Accommodation and Protection services carry proof of staff ID at all times and will show this if they need to enter your property.
In an emergency on campus or in Coventry University accommodation call 024 7765 8555 to summon the University’s Protection Service.
For emergencies in private accommodation or off-campus call the Police on 999. For other incidents such as thefts call the Police on 0845 113 5000.