COVID19 Frequently asked questions - International Students

COVID19 Frequently asked questions - International Students

General FAQs, and those referring to teaching and learning can be found on the COVID-19 information page

If you are starting your course in January 2021:

Whether you are travelling to start your course at one of our UK campuses or are starting your course online in January, you will be contacted to complete your ‘right to study’ checks. For detailed enrolment steps, and information on how to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you are coming to the UK, please visit our dedicated enrolment page.

Find out more about our plans for a blended approach to teaching and learning. 

In line with current UK Government guidance, you will need to self-isolate for 14 days after you arrive, unless you are travelling from certain countries or territories. We recommend you read the government guidance carefully, and contact us at if you have any further questions.

You will be able to self-isolate for this 14 day period in your university-owned accommodation. All contracts will start on either 8 or 16 January 2021. We may be able to offer an earlier start date if required, providing sufficient time to self-isolate before the semester/block starts.

Please notify reception on arrival of your requirement to self-isolate and accommodation staff can then support you with food delivery, waste removal, cleaning packs and wellbeing support for the period of isolation.

Please note, this information relates only to university-owned accommodation with FutureLets, and partner accommodation will have their own contracts and policies.

Additional information regarding accommodation can be found on the accommodation frequently asked questions webpage.


For detailed information regarding social distancing, enhanced campus hygiene, face coverings, and what to expect in our buildings, please see our health and safety FAQs.

We’ve also created a guide outlining our commitment to prioritising safety on campus.

Once you have enrolled on your course, it is important that you register with a doctor – also known as a General Practitioner (GP) – in the UK. If you are living near to our Coventry University campus, you can register with the medical centre at TheHub. If you are not studying at our Coventry campus, or wish to register with a GP closer to your home address, you can find a GP using the NHS Choices Service Search. Do not wait until you feel unwell to do this, register as soon as you can.

If you are thinking of applying to study with us, or currently have an offer to study:

Subject to there being any changes in government advice, we will be offering a blend of on-campus learning and online learning.

If you are unable to join us on campus at the start of your course, we are offering a fully online route for many of our courses for the next academic year as long as there are no specific requirements for on-campus activity (e.g. laboratory, workshop, simulation sessions) that cannot be managed online. It is your choice whether to attend on-campus delivery initially or not; for international students this is subject to any Student Visa requirements specified by the Home Office.

If you are a new student, you will have a comprehensive online induction before you begin your study in January. Access to online induction will be available after completion of online enrolment. Returning students will also be able to access the induction, and will receive communications via email to provide an update of all the information needed before the start of the semester.

Further details of our plans for teaching and learning in January can be found in our latest teaching and learning FAQs.

Yes, the academic year structure will remain the same. Our campuses will be open for teaching from the following dates:

• Coventry University – 18 January 2021
• Coventry University London – 25 January 2021
• CU Coventry – 11 January 2021
• CU Scarborough – 11 January 2021

Courses and modules will be delivered on the Aula learning experience platform.This is where you will access your learning materials and connect with lecturers, tutors and others on your course easily.

Aula will enable you to access lectures and resources at any time, so you can catch up on anything you may miss due to poor or unreliable internet connection.

Further details of our plans for teaching and learning can be found in our latest teaching and learning FAQs.

You are expected to engage with learning through our online platforms. If you are studying on-campus, your engagement will be monitored through timetabled sessions as well as engagement with online platforms. Engagement is essential to your academic success, so we will monitor your engagement and contact you if we notice you are not managing to attend sessions or access your learning materials.

If you are unable to join us on campus at the start of your course, there are a number of options available to you. 

We are offering a fully online route for many of our courses for the next academic year as long as there are no specific requirements for on-campus activity (e.g. laboratory, workshop, simulation sessions) that cannot be managed online. 

We have flexible intakes at Coventry University and Coventry University London, meaning you can choose to defer your application to a later intake and begin your studies in May 2021 or September 2021. At our CU Coventry and CU Scarborough campuses, we also have intakes in February, April and November, so there are multiple opportunities throughout the year to join one of our courses.

Please let your Admissions Manager know via the email address on your offer letter or call us on +44 (0) 24 7765 2152 if you would like to defer your entry. 



We will defer your application to a later intake completely free of charge. If you defer to an intake within the same academic year, the course fee will remain the same. For example, deferring from January 2021 to May 2021. However, if you defer to the following academic year (2021/22), you will need to pay the fee for that academic year, which is likely to be slightly higher. For example, if you defer from January 2021 to September 2021 the fees are likely to increase.

We will issue CAS letters for January starters from November 2020. In cases where you must provide further evidence such as bank statements, CAS release may take a little longer.

Your CAS will permit you to arrive at the earliest time you are able to travel in the first semester of your course. You must complete your online enrolment and engage with your course online, even if you are unable to travel at the beginning of the semester. Please check your CAS for your enrolment deadline and the date you need to arrive in the UK by.

We will run our full range of PSE courses throughout 2021, and will remain flexible in offering both online and face-to-face options. Depending on the length of your PSE course, you may have the option to study fully online, fully face-to-face or a blend of both. All courses will be delivered full-time, in small class groups and with individual tutorial support. Further information is available on the Coventry PSE page or London PSE page.

If you are studying a degree level course, we accept a range of robust English language qualifications equivalent to IELTS. These will be assessed in your application, but include the following:

Depending on where you studied, your high school qualification may be considered.

If you have taken a recent English language test, please send your results to your Admissions Manager for review. If you need any more information about English Language test requirements, you can also contact your Admissions Manager.

If you have applied for a Research study programme, you are required to meet the stated English Language criteria. The only exception to this requirement is for students educated to UK degree level standard in the medium of English in the UK or in a majority English speaking country within the two years immediately preceding your proposed course start date. In the event of the closure of the recognised and approved test centre, please email to request a deferral of your studies, or to discuss whether a Coventry University English Language Test (“CUELT”) is available to you.

Due to COVID-19, many of our face-to-face CUELTS, including those in the UK, have been postponed. We are currently holding face-to-face CUELTs in China, which you can view details of on our website.

We have partnered with a reliable English Language test provider to deliver tests online. Please contact your Regional Manager if you are interested in taking an online language test.

We know that some students may find it difficult to satisfy all the conditions that they need to be issued a study visa by the UK Government. Our comprehensive refund policy protects your rights and means that you could be eligible to claim a refund on some or all of your tuition fees. The exact amount of refund depends on your circumstances and when you ask us for a refund.

Applications can now be made to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for a new ATAS certificate. In order to join a course that requires ATAS clearance, you must be granted your certificate before you will be permitted to enrol. The current rules on the requirement to obtain an ATAS certificate continue to apply. Further information can be found on the UK Government website.

The UK Government is yet to release a detailed policy related to the graduate immigration route. However, they have clearly stated that they remain committed to introducing the route despite the global pandemic. We are waiting for the outcome of further discussions, but believe the government is intending to open this route to any student graduating from summer 2021. 

In order to be eligible students are expected to complete their degree by studying in the UK with a Student Visa. Students must arrive in the UK no later than 6 April 2021 and complete at least one semester in the UK, according to the government guidance document: COVID-19: student sponsors, migrants and short-term students. You can find the latest information on the UK Government website.

If you are a current student:

If we have been required to report to the UKVI that you are no longer sponsored by the university, you will be notified of this by email. Once this report has been made about your Student Visa and you have left the UK, you must not attempt to re-enter the UK without first obtaining a new visa. If you have successfully completed your course and will be applying for a visa to attend your graduation ceremony – should this be able to take place – you can apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

Please note: Earlier this year we made a difficult decision to cancel our graduation ceremonies due to COVID-19 restrictions. Graduation is a very special time for staff and students alike, and this decision was not taken lightly. With restrictions still in place, we are sad to announce that our October 2020 and November 2020 graduation ceremonies will also not be able to take place. We realise that this will have been disappointing news to graduates who were due to attend these ceremonies, but we hope you will understand why we made this decision.

So as not to disadvantage students due to graduate, the awards will be conferred in absentia and certificates posted to home addresses. It is therefore important that students due to graduate check that their address details are up-to-date on SOLAR. We want to mark the great achievements of everyone who is awarded their degree, and will share more information in due course. 

For further information, Coventry University and CU Group students should email and Coventry University London students should email

Nationals of certain countries are required to register with the police if coming to the UK for six months or longer. The requirement to register with the police will be noted on the visa decision letter (issued in the UK or overseas when the visa was granted), the yellow entry clearance vignette in the passport or the Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). 

If you are a national of a country required to register with the police but this condition is not listed on your entry clearance vignette or BRP, and you do not have your visa decision letter with you, contact the International Student Support team on or the International Student Compliance Team on, as you will not be permitted to register without a document showing the condition.

Students who are required to register with the police should do so at the following locations:

If you are studying in Coventry:

Please register with the West Midlands Police at Digbeth Police Station or Coventry Central Police Station.  You have to book an appointment for all new registrations, updates and transfers.    

Please visit​ to create an account and select an appointment

If you are studying in London:

Register with the Metropolitan Police at OVRO Office on Borough High Street. You have to book an appointment for all new registrations, updates and transfers.    

Please visit to create an account and select an appointment

If you are studying in Scarborough:

Register with the North Yorkshire Police at Fulford Road Police Station in York. You have to book an appointment for all new registrations, updates and transfers.  

Please visit to create an account.

Please note that due to the current UK Government guidelines regarding COVID-19, North Yorkshire Police has suspended Overseas Visitor attendance at police stations. This means that there will be no appointments available at any location, until further notice.

To comply with the Home Office requirement to register and update your details, complete the online registration form, and you will be contacted via email when appointments are available again to complete the process, make payment and receive a Police Registration Certificate.

As of 6 August 2020, Student Visa students who have work rights and are employed by an NHS trust as a medical practitioner, health professional or in a role listed here are not restricted to 20 hours work during term time.

All other Student Visa students are limited to the number of hours they can work during term time stated on their visa or BRP.

For more information and further FAQs, please check the student portal.

For further information specific to postgraduate research candidates visit the PGR pre-arrival and enrolment information page.

Links to official information:
Coventry University No.1 Modern University No.1 Modern University in the Midlands
Coventry University awarded TEF GOLD Teaching Excellence Framework
University of the year shortlisted
QS Five Star Rating 2020
Coventry City of Culture 2021