Dr. Janet Vousden
I graduated from King’s College London with a BSc in Computer Science, and went on to complete a PhD in Psychology at Warwick University. I completed many years as a postdoctoral research fellow at Warwick University working in short-term memory and reading research with Prof. Gordon Brown. Since 2009 I have worked in the area of reading development as a research fellow at Coventry University. I am interested in computational modelling of reading development as well as behavioural studies of reading development.
- Vousden, J.I., Brown, G.D.A., and Harley, T.A. (2000) 'Serial control of phonology in speech production: A hierarchical model'. Cognitive Psychology 41 (2), 101-175.
- Maylor, E.A., Vousden, J.I., and Brown, G.D.A. (1999) 'Adult age differences in short-term memory for serial order: Data and a model'. Psychology and Aging 14 (4), 572-594.
- Elvevag, B., Brown, G.D.A., McCormack, T., Vousden, J.I., and Goldberg, T.E. (2004) 'Identification of tone duration, line length and letter position: An experimental approach to timing and working memory deficits in schizophrenia'. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 113 (4), 509-521.
- McCormack, T.M., Brown, G.D.A., Vousden, J.I., and Henson, R.N.A. (2000) 'Children’s serial recall errors: Implications for short-term memory development'. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology 76 (3), 222-252.
- Brown, G.D.A., Vousden, J.I., McCormack, T.M., and Hulme, C. (1999) 'The development of memory for serial order: A temporal-contextual distinctiveness model'. International Journal of Psychology 34 (5-6).
- Brown, G.D.A., Della Sala, S., Foster, J., and Vousden, J.I. (2007) 'Amnesia, rehearsal, and temporal distinctiveness models of recall'. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review 14 (2), 256-260.
- Vousden, J.I., and Maylor, E.A. (2006) 'Speech errors across the lifespan'. Language and Cognitive Processes 21 (1-3), 48-77.
- Vousden, J.I. (2008) 'Units of English spelling-to-sound mapping: A rational approach to reading instruction'. Applied Cognitive Psychology 22 (2), 247-272.
- Brown, G.D.A., Vousden, J.I., and McCormack, T. (2009) 'Memory retrieval as temporal discrimination'. Journal of Memory and Language 60 (1), 194-208.
- Vousden, J.I., Ellefson, M.R., Solity, J.E., and Chater, N. (2011) 'Simplifying Reading: Applying the Simplicity Principle to Reading'. Cognitive Science 35 (1), 34-78.
- The development of irregular word reading: the role of word knowledge: How children use vocabulary to read irregular words