How do we ensure responsible borrowing?
University of Birmingham
University of Warwick
In response to the findings from the AHRC project 'FinCris: Responsibilities, Ethics and the Financial Crisis', our research on 'responsible lending and borrowing' proposes to undertake a follow-on project to explore innovative impactful ways for the research findings to encourage greater responsible lending and borrowing.
The key objective is to improve responsible lending and borrowing. In particular, we will focus on access to affordable credit for low and moderate income communities. We propose to achieve this through engaging with UK Credit Unions to develop innovative and creative strategies for implementing responsible lending practices and products.
We will engage in a range of activities to develop impact within and beyond the lifetime of the project to:
- Inform and feed into public debates via the Credit Union network and key stakeholders within the lending and borrowing space, particularly mainstream banks and regulators which will make a significant impact upon credit union members and borrowers.
- Support Credit Unions (lenders) through co-producing materials based on our research findings in order for them to understand and support responsible borrowing amongst their members for longer-term impact beyond the project.
- Convene workshops to share and use our findings as a basis for discussion about the role that Credit Unions can play as responsible lenders.
- Co-produce a good practice guide to train staff and board members, based on our research findings and the discussions with key stakeholders.
- Host knowledge exchange events, inviting key actors in the responsible credit sphere from Australia to share their knowledge on HCSTC and what lessons can be learnt in the UK context.