Coventry University academics to judge architecture prize in Iraq
Friday 24 May 2013
The Dean of Engineering and Computing at Coventry University has been named a judge for the first ever architecture prize recognising women’s excellence and contribution to the profession in Iraq.
Professor Paul Ivey will be joined by colleague Frazer Bufton, Course Director for Architecture at the University, on the judging panel for the Tamayouz Excellence Award 2013. Founded in 2012 by Ahmed Salah, Assistant Lecturer in Architecture and Building at Coventry University, the competition aims to promote the profession in Iraq and improve the architectural situation there.
Last year’s award had only one category for final year architecture students studying in Iraqi universities but now the competition has been expanded to recognise the contribution of women in architecture and construction. This new category aims to support and empower Iraqi women working in what is a male-dominated profession and to celebrate their achievements and contributions to the industry.
Paul and Frazer will be joining a judging panel consisting of internationally renowned architects and academics including Angela Brady, President of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and Khaled Al-Sultany from the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts. The winners will be announced on 9 September 2013 with the award ceremony taking place at a later date in Baghdad.
The full judging panel for the Tamayouz Excellence Award 2013 is:
- Paul Ivey, Dean of Engineering and Computing, Coventry University
- Angela Brady, President of the Royal Institute of British Architects RIBA, London
- Khaled Al-Sultany, architect and researcher at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Copenhagen
- Peter Besley, co-founder of Assemblage Architecture + Urbanism, London
- Ayad Al-Tuhafi, owner of Ayad Al-Tuhafi Architects, London
- Ihsan Fethi, Director of the Iraqi Society of Architects, Amman
- Jerome Goyard, architect at Fevre Gaucher, Paris
- Katherine McNeil, Chief Executive of the London chapter of Architecture for Humanity,
- Manhal Abdulateef, architect and academic, Sydney
- Mohamed Nazer, owner of Inside out Design architecture and interior design consultancy and co-founder of “DESIGNBOOK.ME", Amman
- Paul Longdin, co-founder of Constructure Design Consultancy, London
- Frazer Bufton, senior lecturer in architecture at Coventry University
- Rashed Al-Nasaa, senior sustainability engineer at the Arab Engineering Bureau, Doha
For further press information, please contact Mark Farnan on 02477 658245 or email@example.com.