Glossary of Terms

Accommodation Terms

Application Portal - this is the bookings site where you register and apply for your accommodation. There are different portals for Coventry University students and CU Coventry students. This is where you submit your accommodation application, view and accept any offers of accommodation, go through our online induction process before you arrive, and track your accommodation finance account.

Cateredmeals are provided for residents in catered halls, and are included within the cost of the rent. We have Priory Hall which serves breakfast and an evening meal, Monday – Friday.

Ensuite – these rooms generally consist of a bedroom, with its own individual bathroom for the resident’s sole use.

FutureLets - The FutureLets team are the managing agent appointed to manage accommodation on behalf of Coventry University. Company registered address: The FutureLets Ltd, Coventry University, Priory Street, Coventry CV1 5FB. FutureLets is the trading name of The FutureLets Ltd, a company registered in England, under company number 09136328, wholly owned by Coventry University Enterprises Ltd.

Licence to Occupy - this document outlines the terms and conditions of residency (what you can and cannot do in accommodation), and forms part of your contract. This document is only relevant to University Owned and Managed properties.

Managed – these properties are associated with the University via a lease, and your Licence will be with the University, and your rent payments will go to the University. The properties themselves are owned and managed on a day-to-day basis by another company. Liberty Point (managed by Liberty Living) is an example of this arrangement.

Partner Property – these properties are owned and managed by a separate company. The University reserves a number of rooms within these properties for the sole use of our students, who can book these rooms by applying through FutureLets. The rent payments go to the Partner Property directly, and your contract will be between yourself and the Partner Property. Examples of our Partners are UNITE Students, Host Students and Study Inn.

Premium – specific rooms of this type vary, but generally a ‘premium’ room will provide a larger floor space than a standard room in the same property.

Private Lettings/Private Accommodation – this refers to properties which are privately owned by landlords, who hire FutureLets to let or manage their tenancy and property for them. These properties generally consist of shared houses, flats and apartments, and are generally in the residential areas of Coventry.

Residence Life/ ResLife - a programme of sports and social events organised by our Residence Life Coordinators, designed to promote integration and student community within our halls.

Self-Catered – students living in these properties are required to buy their food and cook for themselves.

Studio – These rooms generally consist of a flat with a single floor space, providing a bed/sleeping area, kitchenette with basic cooking equipment, and a study area with a desk and chair. These rooms typically have an ensuite bathroom for the resident’s sole use.

Superior – this term only applies to Singer Hall, and refers to rooms which have been recently refurbished. They generally have a ¾ bed, and greater storage capacity.

Tenancy Agreement – this is the contract between a tenant and a landlord, and is only applicable to accommodation booked through our private lettings portfolio. This does NOT apply to University Owned or Managed accommodation.

Twudio - this type of room only exists in Godiva Place, and is a twin studio, with 2 x 3/4 beds, 2 x desks and chairs, ensuite bathroom and a kitchen shared between 2 residents. There is in some rooms of this type a partition wall between the two beds, but not in all twudios. Due to the configuration of these rooms we recommend they are applied for by two students who know each other well.

University-Owned – this refers to accommodation or properties which are owned by Coventry University. The Licence for these properties is between the student and Coventry University, and the day-to-day running of these properties is managed by Coventry University.

Utilities – generally refers to Gas (where applicable), Electricity, Water and Internet.

Application Terms

Conditional - This is an offer made which is dependent on the student reaching certain criteria such as obtaining specific grades for example BBB from three A-Levels.

Firm - An offer you accept as your first choice – usually this refers to the UCAS applications system, or to applications made direct to the University via the Recruitment & Admissions Office or the International Office.

Insurance - An offer you accept as your second or 'reserve' choice - usually this refers to the UCAS applications system. You cannot apply for accommodation as an Insurance student until you inform Coventry University you will be attending, after the release of your results.

Postgraduate – a secondary degree (following completion of a first degree), such as a Master’s or a PHD.

PSE/Pre-Sessional English – international students who are required to complete an English language course over the summer months, before starting their degree, in English, in September.

Unconditional - This is an offer of a place on a university course, where the applicant has met all of the entry criteria there are no conditions, the place is yours if you want it.

Undergraduate – a student embarking on their first degree (e.g. Bachelor’s degree).

For information on private lettings, please visit our dedicated website


Images are intended to be representative only. Neither Coventry University nor FutureLets guarantee that the layout or style of any accommodation offered to you will be the same as that depicted. Neither Coventry University nor FutureLets guarantee that any accommodation offered to you will come with any particular contents, furniture or facilities other than those expressly stated as being available in each property as set out on the Coventry University website.