The welfare team at the university provide practical and emotional support for students, and are often the first port of call for students experiencing difficulties.
The team deal with various issues including:
- Medical issues
- Family upheaval
- Relationship breakdown
- Problems with workload
- Exam support
- Liaising with university staff on your behalf
- Issues for pregnant students
- Public health (such as TB and meningitis)
- Support after an unwanted sexual incident - view information on University and external support
Reporting a hate crime
A hate crime is any incident carried out against a person because of their sex, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation. It can include:
- verbal abuse and harassment
- threats and intimidation
- physical assault and violence, including sexual violence
- property damage
- offensive mail
Not every incident is a crime, but you can still report it:
- Report to our new online reporting system: www.coventry.ac.uk/harassment
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact the Hate Crime Reporting Centre in the Students’ Union Advice Centre
- Staff who have suffered an incident can also report to the new online reporting system and will be referred to a Dignity and Respect Advisor, their People Team Business Partner.
- Other reporting centres.
In addition, the welfare team work closely with other University departments and we are always happy to be the first port of call and sign post to the appropriate area.
We strongly encourage students to make contact with the our team themselves. If a parent, other family member, friend, or authority contacts the University to ask about you, staff will not be able to divulge details. This is because UK law (the 1998 Data Protection Act) and University policy prevent the disclosure of an individuals information unless the law requires them to. For this reason, we encourage parents and students to keep in regular contact with each other. If parents have concerns about their son/daughter, we ask that they strongly encouraged them to contact the Welfare team themselves. Everything discussed with a Welfare Officer is confidential unless the law requires information to be passed to a relevant authority.
For most students, starting University is an amazing adventure and is a great place to be, and should be some of the best time of your lives. For those students in difficulity, the Welfare team is there to provide support as part of a professional and experienced Student Services team.
The Welfare team are based in the Hub and can be contacted on 024 7765 8029 or by email:email@example.com