Funding Your Postgraduate Course
Thanks to the variety of options you have to help fund your studies, you can enjoy your time as a Coventry University postgraduate student with the confidence that all the financial factors are under control. Investing in your future, unfortunately, comes at a cost. However, this doesn't have to be a cause of worry or stress.
Important notice for students within the EUWe are pleased to confirm that EU nationals who start a higher education course in the 2020/21 academic year remain eligible for the same fees and financial support as home students. This financial support comes from Student Finance England and covers undergraduate and postgraduate study for the duration of their course, providing they meet the residency requirement.
So whether you're looking for a loan, feel you're eligible for a scholarship or disability aid, you can find out how you can be supported below.
Scholarships and 15% alumni discounts (subject to terms and conditions)
Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
This is a cash scholarship worth £2,000 and available to all students applying for a full-time, part-time or online(including CU online) postgraduate taught master's programme at Coventry University and achieved a first class degree.
Students will be automatically identified for the PGT Academic Excellence scholarship. Eligible students will be notified by email. We will request your bank details. A cash payment will then be made directly into your UK bank account.
£500 Cash Bursary
This is an £500 cash bursary available for those Coventry University students that graduate in 2020 (this April, July or November) and starting their postgraduate taught degree in September 2020 or January 2021. Unlike the scholarship, this cash bursary exclusive to alumni and is not dependant on the degree classification awarded.
Students will be automatically identified for the PGT Cash Bursary. Eligible students will be notified by email. We will request your bank details. A cash payment will then be made directly into your UK bank account. For more information, please the see the next tab for Funding for Coventry alumni.
We have a wide range of scholarships available to students from different nationalities and areas of interest to help enrich the talents of people from all over the world, as well as those locally.
For more information, please visit our international scholarships web page.
FindAMasters Postgraduate Scholarships
FindAMasters links students with courses and universities that are right for them, and now also offer scholarships for their e-newsletter subscribers.
To subscribe and find out more regarding these scholarships, please visit the FindAMasters website.
MastersCompare Postgraduate Scholarship
MastersCompare are offering a £5,000 Postgraduate Scholarship for Masters study in the academic year 2018/19. The scholarship is open to UK, EU and international students. More information is available on the MastersCompare website.
Funding for Coventry alumni
Postgraduate taught (PGT) alumni discount and postgraduate (PGT) academic excellence scholarship 2020/21 entry cohort
What Funding is available to Coventry University students?
You can help fund your course with a Coventry University PGT Alumni discount worth 15% of your total tuition fee and a PGT Academic Excellence Scholarship worth up to £2000 cash subject to eligibility terms and conditions set out below.
This is a 15% discount available on any published course fee to all alumni students who have been awarded an undergraduate degree by Coventry University Group and will be applying for a full-time or part-time Postgraduate taught course. You must be a self-funded student e.g. not sponsored.
Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship**
This is a cash scholarship worth £2,000 and available to all students applying for a full-time or part-time Postgraduate taught course at Coventry University and achieved a first class degree. Please note that for part-time students, the scholarship will be paid on a pro rata basis.
£500 cash Bursary***
For those Coventry University students that are graduating in 2020 (this April, July or November) and starting their postgraduate taught master’s degree this September 2020 or January 2021, they will also be eligible for a £500 cash bursary.
How do I apply?
The 15% Alumni discount is automatically applied to your fee account if eligible. This can only be applied once you have enrolled.
Students will be automatically identified for both the PGT cash bursary and PGT Academic Excellence scholarship. Eligible students will be notified by email. We will request your bank details. A cash payment will then be made directly into your UK bank account.
- * Students enrolled on to a full-time or part-time taught Masters Course at Coventry University, CU London campus and CU online who have an undergraduate degree awarded within the Coventry University Group will receive a 15% Alumni discount on the published course fee. This includes students awarded their undergraduates by transnational partners holding an undergraduate Coventry University degree award(s).
- Please note that you must be transferring onto a postgraduate course charging postgraduate tuition fees in order to be eligible for the alumni discount. Courses that are integrated Masters Courses that continue to charge undergraduate tuition fees and eligible to receive undergraduate student finance will not qualify to receive the alumni discount.
- ** Students enrolled on to a full-time or part-time taught Masters Course at Coventry University, CU London campus and CU online who have achieved a first class degree will be considered for a scholarship.
- *** Students enrolled on to a full-time or part-time taught Masters Course at Coventry University, CU London campus and CU online who have an undergraduate degree awarded in 2019 or 2020 within the Coventry University Group will be considered eligible for the PGT £500 cash bursary.
- Students enrolling on a similar or lower level qualification to that previously studied at Coventry University will not be eligible for an alumni discount.
- Please note that if you have already obtained a Masters qualification we cannot consider you for this scholarship as it is available to first time postgraduate students only.
- Scholarships are allocated on the basis of academic merit.
Terms and Conditions
- All approved fee reductions/discounts will be applied after enrolment in that academic year.
- For September intake students, the cash element of the bursary or scholarship will be paid in term 2 (February 2021) of your academic year. Please note that this payment date will vary depending on your intake. Further details regarding specific payment dates will be detailed in your offer email letter.
- All scholarships, bursaries and discounts will be awarded at the entire discretion of Coventry University.
- Scholarships and bursaries are only available to self-funded students; sponsored students are not eligible.
- This scholarship is available to all intakes subject to students applying by the deadline stipulated.
- The cash bursary is only available to September 2020 or January 2021 intakes subject to students applying by the deadline stipulated.
- If following enrolment, you change your mode of study from full-time to part-time the PGT Alumni discount, PGT cash bursary and PGT Academic Excellence scholarship will be adjusted and applied on a pro rata basis.
- The University’s decision on the interpretation of eligibility criteria is final and there is no right of appeal. You must comply with all requests for additional information to establish your eligibility in the timeframes specified and you must provide any proofs requested by the stated deadline.
- The University reserves the right to terminate an award and demand repayment of funds already paid in case of disciplinary action against an award-holder. Cases will be considered on an individual basis by the University.
- The University reserves the right to withdraw a scholarship from anyone who is found to have misled the University about any aspect of their eligibility and to seek repayment of any monies already paid by appropriate means.
- There is no right of appeal against the University’s decision in relation to your eligibility for an award based on your widening participation or your academic profile. You may make a complaint if you believe that you have not been considered for an award because of a procedural error, or you believe that there has been some other procedural problem with our allocating and awarding system.
- The University reserves the right to amend or withdraw scholarships at any time.
All information regarding the PGT Alumni discount, PGT Cash Bursary and PGT Academic Excellence scholarship for 2019/20 and 2020/21entry cohorts is correct at the time of printing, but is subject to change.
UK Postgraduate Loan Scheme
The government has introduced their own funded loans to support postgraduate study in England. Loans are available up to £11,222 for anyone aged under 60. Student Finance England have provided an overview and policy summary which outlines the key features of the postgraduate loans.
English postgraduate master's students can now apply for finance for AY 2020/21.
You should apply early to make sure you get their money in time for the start of the course, even if you do not have a confirmed place yet.
Information and advice on these loans can also be found on the findamasters website.
Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)
Postgraduate students who have a specific learning difficulty, physical impairment or mental health issue may be able to get financial help from Disabled Students' Allowances. You can apply for DSA for both taught courses and research places.
One of the more popular ways to fund your studies is through part-time work. Coventry University has its own recruitment agency, FutureWorks, which can offer you flexible options to fit alongside your course.
Furthermore, most of our faculties also offer you the opportunity to be a student ambassador or advocate. Please speak to your faculty at enrolment to find out more.
The MOD's Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) provides financial support for members of the Armed Forces looking to pursue Higher Education. For more information, please visit their website.
For further information on how to go from undergraduate to postgraduate study, please visit our Stay On, Go Further web page.