Funding Your Postgraduate Course
Thanks to the variety of options you have to help fund your studies, you can enjoy your time as a Coventry University postgraduate student with the confidence that all the financial factors are under control. Investing in your future, unfortunately, comes at a cost. However, this doesn't have to be a cause of worry or stress.
So whether you're looking for a loan, feel you're eligible for a scholarship or disability aid, now you can find out how you can be supported.
Loans & other funding
UK Postgraduate Loan Scheme
Government funded loans have been introduced to support postgraduate study in England. Loans up to £11,222 are available for anyone aged under 60. Student Finance England have provided an overview which outlines the key features of the Government funded postgraduate loans. The latest information can be found on the gov.uk website.
Students studying for either a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) or an Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course are unable to qualify for a Postgraduate Master's Loan, but can apply for undergraduate student finance.
UK/EU Postgraduate master's students can now apply for student finance for academic year 2020/21.
You should apply early to make sure you get your finance in time for the start of the course, even if you do not have a confirmed place yet.
Please visit the findamasters website for further details on funding.
#JoinYourAIFuture Data Science Scholarships
The MSc Data Science conversion course at Coventry University is part of the #JoinYourAIFuture programme, funded by the Office for Students. #JoinYourAIFuture is a national recruitment campaign to help address the shortage of AI and data specialists in the UK. An important aim of the campaign is to increase the number of people from underrepresented groups in the AI and data science fields, and to encourage graduates from diverse backgrounds to consider a future in these occupations.
The Office for Students has made 1,000 scholarships available across a number of Universities to help achieve this aim and applicants to this course at Coventry University may apply for a scholarship of £10,000, to be paid in instalments to assist students with the financial aspects of studying this degree.
FindAMasters Postgraduate Scholarships
FindAMasters helps students find courses and universities that are right for them. FindAMasters now also offer scholarships for their e-newsletter subscribers.
To subscribe and find out more regarding these scholarships, please visit the FindAMasters website.
Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)
Postgraduate students who have a specific learning difficulty, physical impairment or mental health issue may be able to get financial help from Disabled Students' Allowances. You can apply for DSA for both taught courses and research places.
You can speak to someone at our Health and Wellbeing Centre for specific support. In terms of other disability related benefits please visit the Disability Living Allowance website for further information.
One of the more popular ways to fund your studies is through part-time work. Coventry University has its own recruitment agency, FutureWorks, which can offer you flexible options to fit alongside your course.
Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) Scheme
The MOD's Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) provides financial support for members of the Armed Forces looking to pursue Higher Education. For more information, please visit their website.
For further information on the journey from undergraduate to postgraduate study, please visit our Stay On, Go Further web page.
Alumni 2021-2022 entry funding
What Funding is available to Coventry University students?
You can find additional funding support with a Postgraduate Taught (PGT) alumni discount worth 20% of your total tuition fee and a Postgraduate Taught (PGT) Academic Excellence Scholarship worth up to £2,000 cash subject to eligibility terms and conditions set out below.
This is a 20% discount available on any published course fee to all alumni wishing to commence study in September 2021, January and May 2022 who have been awarded an undergraduate degree by Coventry University Group and who will be applying for a full-time or part-time postgraduate taught course. You must be a self-funded student e.g. not sponsored.
Postgraduate Taught (PGT) Academic Excellence Scholarship**
This is a cash scholarship worth up to £2,000 and available to all students applying for a full-time or part-time postgraduate taught degree at Coventry University who achieved a British awarded 1st class undergraduate honours degree* from a UK institution. This is a one off payment for the first year of study only. Please note that for part-time students, the scholarship will be paid on a pro rata basis. You must be a self-funded student e.g. not sponsored.
How do I apply?
The 20% Alumni discount is automatically applied to your fee account if eligible. This can only be applied once you have enrolled.
Students will be automatically identified for the PGT Academic Excellence Scholarship. Eligible students will be notified by email and a request will be made to the student for their bank details. A cash payment will then be made directly into the student's UK bank account.
- *Students enrolled on to a full-time or part-time Postgraduate Taught Course at Coventry University, Coventry University London campus and Coventry University Online who have an undergraduate degree awarded within the Coventry University Group will receive a 20% alumni discount on the published course fee. This includes students awarded their undergraduates by transnational partners holding an undergraduate Coventry University degree award(s).
- Please note that you must be transferring onto a postgraduate taught course charging postgraduate tuition fees in order to be eligible for the alumni discount. Courses that are integrated Masters Courses that continue to charge undergraduate tuition fees and are eligible to receive undergraduate student finance will not qualify to receive the alumni discount.
- ** Students enrolled on to a full-time or part-time postgraduate taught course at Coventry University, Coventry University London campus and Coventry University Online who have achieved a first class undergraduate degree will be considered for a scholarship.
- Students enrolling on a similar or lower level qualification to that previously studied at Coventry University will not be eligible for an alumni discount.
- Please note that if you have already obtained a postgraduate taught qualification we cannot consider you for this scholarship as it is available to first time postgraduate students only.
- Scholarships are allocated on the basis of academic merit.
Terms and Conditions
All approved fee reductions/discounts will be applied after enrolment in that academic year.
- Please note that this payment date will vary depending on your intake. For January intake students, the cash element of the scholarship will be paid in term 2 of your academic year. The same will apply to May intake students. Further details regarding specific payment dates will be detailed in your offer email letter.
- All scholarships and discounts will be awarded at the entire discretion of Coventry University.
- Scholarships are only available to self-funded students; sponsored students are not eligible.
- Scholarships are available to graduates of a British awarded 1st class undergraduate honours degree* regardless of nationality or fee status. Degrees from overseas do not qualify unless awarded by a recognised UK university abroad.
- This scholarship is available to all intakes subject to students applying by the deadline stipulated for their course.
- If following enrolment, you change your mode of study from full-time to part-time the PGT Alumni discount and PGT Academic Excellence scholarship will be adjusted and applied on a pro rata basis.
- The University's decision on the interpretation of eligibility criteria is final and there is no right of appeal. You must comply with all requests for additional information to establish your eligibility in the timeframes specified and you must provide any proofs requested by the stated deadline.
- The University reserves the right to terminate an award and demand repayment of funds already paid in case of disciplinary action against an award-holder. Cases will be considered on an individual basis by the University.
- The University reserves the right to withdraw a scholarship from anyone who is found to have misled the University about any aspect of their eligibility and to seek repayment of any monies already paid by appropriate means.
- There is no right of appeal against the University's decision in relation to your eligibility for an award based on your widening participation or your academic profile. You may make a complaint if you believe that you have not been considered for an award because of a procedural error, or you believe that there has been some other procedural problem with our allocating and awarding system.
- The University reserves the right to amend or withdraw scholarships and discounts at any time.
* First-Class Honours (70% and above): a first class degree, usually referred to as a ‘first’ or 1st, is the highest honours degree conferred by UK universities.
- We have a wide range of scholarships available to students from different nationalities and areas of interest to help enrich the talents of people from all over the world, as well as those locally.
- For more information, please visit our international scholarships web page.
All information regarding the PGT Alumni discount and PGT Academic Excellence scholarship is correct at the time of writing but is subject to change.