Postgraduate Degrees: How to Apply
No matter if you are from the UK or abroad, or want to study in Coventry or London, below you can find all the information you need to know to make applying simple and efficient.
UK Applicants: Coventry and London
To apply to study on a Postgraduate course (full-time or part-time) you should complete an online postgraduate application form.
What to include
If possible these should be submitted with the application form:
- Copies of degree/diploma certificates
- Copies of degree/diploma academic transcripts
- One current reference on official headed paper or from a professional email address (this can be a work or academic reference and must be signed and recently dated)
- Please note for some courses we will require both, work and academic references, like for Health and Nursing courses
- Personal statement (at least 500 words)
- If you do not have a degree and are applying with work experience then please submit a detailed CV
- We will require evidence of English language proficiency, this can be GCSE grade C/4 or above or IELTS 6.5 or equivalent qualifications
- For certain courses we will also require evidence of GCSE Maths grade C/4 or above, we will also consider qualifications equivalent to this
- For Art and Design based courses a portfolio of art work may be requested
It is important that you send this information to us as soon as possible, either as paper copies by mail, or as scanned and emailed documents.
If you are being sponsored by an employer you must complete and send in a fee authorisation form – this must be sent to our finance department before enrolment.
Application Deadlines and Start Dates
|Entry Point||Application deadline||Start date/induction|
|May 2021||9 May 2021||17 May 2021|
|September 2021||31 August 2021||13 September 2021 (TBC)|
|January 2022||9 January 2022||17 January 2022 (TBC)|
Any applications received after the deadlines we will still consider at our discretion.
Please note: not all courses have a January and May entry. Please check on the individual course pages for specific entry dates and tuition fees.
For advice on postgraduate courses contact:
Coventry University Recruitment and Admissions
Alan Berry Building
Coventry CV1 5FB
Telephone: +44 (0) 24 77652222
Fill in our request information form.
Stay on Go Further (for Alumni and final years)
You can also apply using the Fast Track application from the Stay on go Further page.
International/EU Applicants: Coventry and London
Applying to Coventry University or Coventry University London as an international or EU student is quick and simple.
Visit our International How to Apply page for more information on the different ways to apply and the documents you’ll need to provide.
Before applying, please ensure that you have confirmed the following:
- Read our entry requirements for admission onto a research degree to check that you meet mandatory entry criteria in full.
- Gathered all of the supporting documentation that you are required to submit with your application form
- Research your research- have you checked that Coventry University offers research expertise and activity in the area within which you wish to research – visit our Research Centres and Research Directory at /research.
Entry criteria for applicants to MSc/MA by Research
Minimum of a 2:1 first degree in a relevant discipline/subject area with a minimum 60% mark in the project element or equivalent with a minimum 60% overall module average.
Entry criteria for applicants to Doctoral Study (including PhD and Professional Doctorates)
A minimum of a 2:1 first degree in a relevant discipline/subject area with a minimum 60% mark in the project element or equivalent with a minimum 60% overall module average.
In the event of a first degree classification of less than 2:1, a Masters Degree in a relevant subject area will be considered as an equivalent
The Masters must have been attained with minimum overall marks at merit level (60%)*. In addition, the dissertation or equivalent element in the Masters must also have been attained with a minimum mark of merit level (60%).
*Or higher where stipulated against a specific opportunity.
English Language Proficiency required for Research Degrees
Overseas applicants are required to demonstrate their competence through attainment of a notified overall minimum IELTS Academic score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component (or equivalent approved English language qualification and score) prior to application.
Please note that overseas students enrolled on a pre-sessional English course will also be required to attain the notified minimum IELTS Academic score (or equivalence) prior to application for a higher degree (plus meet any other requirements as specified by the University).