EEC Research Support Office
EEC’s Research Support Office is responsible for planning, designing and implementing the Faculty’s contribution to the University’s Excellence with Impact Research Strategy. We support the development of a positive, healthy research culture, by facilitating best practice in research recruitment, admissions, support, training and supervision.
We work closely with Coventry University’s Doctoral College and Centre for Research Capability and Development and Research Office, which not only operates institution-wide systems and processes in support of research excellence, but also organises an extensive portfolio of events, activities and programmes for doctoral researchers, early career researchers, middle career researchers, senior researchers and professors. This includes research-informed workshops, online webinars, expert seminars, reading groups, digital resources, activity-based learning, regular peer mentoring sessions and a range of networking events. You can access 1-2-1 support in areas such as:
- Academic writing;
- Developing a career and research strategy;
- Showcasing your research at a business breakfast;
- Determining the value of your research to a range of stakeholders;
- Designing a public engagement event; and
- Developing an interdisciplinary and international project.
To enhance the Faculty’s research culture, we organise several networking initiatives to bring together postgraduate taught students, researchers, academics and industry partners. This includes:
- EEC summer research internships to allow postgraduate taught students to join an existing research project for six weeks.
- Research seminars to disseminate findings and share experience.
- Annual research symposium to celebrate the ground-breaking research being undertaken by our students and showcase findings to supervisors and industry experts. Why not view the video of our 2016 symposium?
- Meet the Researcher events provide an opportunity to hear first-hand about the careers and lives of some of our key researchers in the Faculty.
- Writing for Computer Science and Engineering workshops will enable you to hone and develop discipline-specific writing skills.
We also provide guidance when developing research funding proposals and manage the Faculty’s Research Excellence Fund. Through a competitive bidding process, this awards funds to enable our researchers to present keynotes, tutorials and papers at international conferences. Additionally, we run several competitions throughout the year to reward the best papers and journal submissions.
Shut Up and Write
On the first and third Tuesday of every month, the Centre currently runs a one-hour intensive ‘Shut Up and Write’ drop-in session. Aimed at providing our researchers with the motivation and structure to write regularly, these sessions, which do not require advance booking, offer a quiet space in which to write with others. They are followed by an informal ‘Research Coffee’; a chance to meet researchers from across the University, discuss ideas and make connections. We also run a series of ‘Writing Weeks’ throughout the academic year. These sessions, which require booking, focus on a different aspect of writing, such as writing for publication or grant writing, for example. You will be given lots of opportunities to receive feedback from your peers on your writing.