When You Arrive - Staff Induction
When you arrive to the university, one of the first steps that you must take is the mandatory online training for staff. We call this Coventry Essentials and the training involves the following:
- Data Protection (GDPR)
- The Bribery Act 2010
- Diversity in the Workplace
- Health and Safety
- Working with International Students
- Inclusive, Safe and Cohesive Campuses
- Student Disclosure of Unwanted Sexual incidents
- Consumer Rights
- Recruiting International Staff (managers only)
We are pleased to announce a new improved system to host the Coventry Essentials programme; we hope you find this experience enjoyable and the new system easy to use.
All courses can now be found by following this link, coventry.learnupon.com. All tests will need audio and require a pass mark of 80% or more.
If you experience any problems with the new system please contact us directly on email@example.com or on 02477 658115.
As a new member of staff, you are required to participate in the University Induction day.
We understand that you will have lots of questions about the Organisation and experience a smooth transition into your new role. The Induction day has been designed with this in mind: to support your integration and provide you with the information to help you carry out your role with clarity and confidence.
The induction provides an opportunity for you to:
- Learn more about the University’s strategy and key objectives directly from a member of the University’s Leadership team;
- Understand key areas of legislation and policy requirements which apply to all job roles;
- Enjoy the time and space to ask questions of subject matter experts and staff from a wide variety of support functions;
- Find out more about the range of benefits of working at Coventry University.
The day has been designed to be interactive and participative, providing new staff with an invaluable opportunity to network with new and existing colleagues from across the University.
Refreshments and a light lunch will be provided.
How to book
The University Induction day is run once a month throughout the calendar year, and can be booked via our Course Booking System.
Academic Induction is designed to help all new academic staff with lecturing responsibilities settle quickly into the job role and assist them to get to grips with what they need to know as they become part of the academic and teaching community at Coventry.
This half-day workshop is designed with them in mind. It is offered in addition to Faculty/Departmental Induction and the University Induction programme for all new employees. New starters are provided with the knowledge to equip them for life as part of a teaching community here at Coventry and the information required to deliver excellent learning experiences for our students.
The Academic Development Team, in partnership with the Registry Training Team, have come together drawing their joint expertise into a very informative half-day workshop that orientates new lecturers giving them direct access to peers who can answer questions or signpost them accordingly to the contacts, systems, policies and procedures that they need to be aware of.
What will be covered?
New staff are provided with an overview of different topic areas aimed to help them to learn what to do in relation to teaching, marking and assessment responsibilities. This stage of their development is supported by a workbook, new lecturer checklists and an introduction to the various acronyms used at Coventry and within higher education teaching practice.
The topics covered touch upon most aspects of the role such as:
- Being a teacher/academic at Coventry University
- Teaching Practice and The Students Learning Experience
- Marking, Assessment, Turnaround Times and Systems (i.e. coursework, exams, quality systems, etc)
- Introduction to the Course-Based Approach
- Learning Environments at Coventry
- Student and Teacher Support (i.e. services, extensions, deferrals, etc)
- Student Feedback, Teaching Evaluations and Annual Course Review
- Plagarism and Turnitin (i.e. what to do, support, etc)
- Academic Calendar Year, Quality Assurance and Boards
- Ethics and procedures at Coventry
- Acronyms and Glossary of Terms in Teaching Practice and HE
- Continuing Professional Development in your new role as an academic
The course is mandatory for all new academic staff and as part of the process new starters with teaching responsibility will be contacted by Julie Haworth and invited to attend one of the monthly half-day workshops. These workshops last for no more than three hours and sessions are available in the morning or afternoon.
Existing academic staff are welcome to come along and to keep abreast of any changes since they joined, or if they started before this course was launched, by simply contacting Julie Haworth on extension 655111 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information can be found on the Academic Development website.
IT services is located in the Library (immediately to your left as you walk in). They provide support with all computer, internet and mobile phone issues.
They can be contacted via telephone 024 7765 7777, through email: email@example.com or you can use the Log my Call app which can be found on your desktop or from the staff portal.
For urgent IT classroom support call 024 7765 6667.
CHRIS - Coventry HR Information System
This is the system that the University uses to book all holidays, TOIL and sickness; it’s a self-service program where you can update your personal details, emergency contacts and payroll details, etc. You can also view and print your payslips using CHRIS.Go to the induction next stage