Tier 4 Visa


You can apply for your Tier 4 visa within 3 months of your intended course start date. You will need to contact your nearest British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission to find out how early you can submit your application, or check the UK visas website.

Watch the video below to guide you through your visa application. Alternatively, you can watch a Mandarin version of the video 中文版本请点击这里

This video is up to date as of April 2019, however we recommend you to check the most up to date Tier 4 Visa Guidance on the Home Office website before making your visa application. The example used in the video may be slightly different to your own situation and you may be asked additional questions, or be required to submit different documents for your visa application. If you have any questions regarding this please contact visahelp.io@coventry.ac.uk for advice.

Who Can Apply?

In order to be granted a Tier 4 visa, you must pass a points-based assessment and score 40 points. The points are broken down like this:

  • 30 points for Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from Coventry University, which includes a valid CAS reference number
  • 10 points for showing that you have enough money to cover the cost of your course, and your monthly living expenses in the UK, for up to 9 months

In addition to the points you need to obtain, you may also be interviewed as a part of your application.

Your Finances

The Home Office has specified the amount of money that you will need to show before they grant you the 10 points towards your Tier 4 Visa. If you are studying in the UK for the first time you will need:

Length of Course

Money Required

9 months or less

Unpaid course fees AND £1,015.00 for each month of the course

More than 9 months

Unpaid course fees AND £9,135.00 to cover living costs for 9 months in the UK


The Home Office has issued information about banks from which they will not accept proof of funds.

You can view the full requirements to apply for a visa here.

Financial Evidence Requirements

We'd like to assist you with the required evidence you need.

  • All bank statements must be the original document - you cannot use photocopies
  • Statements should either be on letter headed paper from the bank or, if you have printed an electronic statement, it needs to be stamped by the bank
  • Bank statements must be from your or your parent’s personal account. You cannot use business bank account statements. If you wish to use a legal guardian’s bank statement you must include either your certificate of adoption or a court document naming your legal guardian(s). You cannot use an affidavit
  • If you are using your parent’s bank account, you must include your original birth certificate and a letter from your parents giving their permission to use the funds
  • If any of your documents are not in English, you will need to include a translation by a professional translator with your application
  • You need to have enough money in your bank to pay for any remaining tuition fees and the cost of living in the UK
    - Cost of living in Central London = £1265 per month
    - Cost of living in the rest of the UK = £1015 per month
  • You must have saved at least enough to cover the cost of living for each month of your course up to a maximum of 9 months
  • The bank statement needs to show that you have held enough money (see above) every day for at least 28 consecutive days prior to the closing balance of your bank statement
  • The bank statement must be no more than 31 days old on the day that you submit your visa application. The date of your visa application is the day you pay for your application online
  • If the bank statement is not in GBP you need to include a print-out of a currency conversion using www.oanda.com
  • The bank statement must show the name of the account holder, the account number, date the statement was produced, the bank’s name and logo, transactions and the balance after each credit or debit

Download an example of an 'Acceptable Chinese Certificate of Deposit’.

Download an example of an 'Acceptable Nigerian Bank Statement'.

If you require further information on any of the points above, click the button below to view more detailed guidance on home office requirements for translations, bank statements and bank letters.

View further home office guidance

Coventry University ranked 15 in the UK
Coventry University awarded TEF GOLD Teaching Excellence Framework
University of the year for student experience
QS Five Star Rating 2019
Coventry City of Culture 2021