Lost or Stolen Visa Advice

Lost or stolen passport

If your passport is lost or stolen, you need to report this to the police, who will give you a reference or crime number. You can then apply for a replacement passport or temporary travel document to enter the UK.

For information on how to obtain a replacement passport, contact your country's embassy, consulate, or high commission in the country where you are now. You can search for your nearest embassy. You may need to wait some time before you are given your new passport.

Once you have received your new passport and returned to the UK, you need to show it to the International Student Compliance Team in the Student Centre so the University’s records can be updated.

If your visa was a sticker in the passport you lost, please read the information below.

Lost or stolen visa in the UK

If you have a Vignette (sticker) in passport

If your passport and visa is lost or stolen, you will need to report this the police immediately. If you are in the UK, you must visit this website to report your passport as lost or stolen, which will cost you approximately £5. This website operates in conjunction with the UK Police and enables you to download the report immediately.

After you have obtained a replacement passport, you will need to apply to replace your visa if it was in the form of a vignette (sticker) in your lost/stolen passport (pictured below).  

Vignette Example


You can do this by completing a TOC (Transfer of Conditions) form. Your new visa will be issued on a Biometric Residence Permit, but will carry the same conditions and details as your previous visa. 

More information about applying for a Transfer of Conditions can be found on the UKVI website.

Please book an appointment with an International Student Adviser in the Student Centre if you require any support with this application.

If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

You will most likely have your visa in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (pictured below). If your BRP has been lost/stolen whilst in the UK, you need to follow these steps:

BRP example

  • Contact the International Office immediately to seek further clarification: studentsupport.io@coventry.ac.uk
  • Report the loss/theft via Report My Loss
  •  Report the loss/theft to UKVI using the online form
  • Apply for a replacement BRP. You must do this within 3 months of reporting the loss to UKVI and will need to meet with an Adviser based in the Student Centre to assist you with this process.

More information about applying for a replacement Biometric Residence Permit can be found on the UKVI website.  

Lost or stolen visa outside of the UK

If you have a Vignette (sticker) in passport

You must make a normal Tier 4 application in order to replace the entry clearance sticker in your passport. You must pay the full application fee, but you do not need a new CAS and should : you should use the details of your original CAS for the application.

If required, you may be asked for supporting documentation to establish that your circumstances have not changed. This can be in the form of a Student Status Letter which can be requested online from Nova or your most recent results letter.

This process can take a number of weeks, so you will need to make arrangements to either stay where you are and do this or fly back to your home country to make your application. You cannot return to the UK before you have the new visa.

If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

You must inform the UKVI as soon as possible so that they can cancel your BRP.

You will then need to apply for a single entry visa that you can use once to re-enter the UK. You can do this by filling out the relevant application form. When asked for the visa type, select Other > Others > Replacement Biometric Residence Permit. An example is below:

Visa Application Screenshot 

This visa does not replace your BRP card, so you will need to apply for a replacement BRP within 1 month of your return to the UK. 

Further information

If you lose your passport and/or BRP outside of the UK, we would recommend that you also consider the following.

  • Contact your embassy immediately if you are not in your country of origin or residence
  • Contact the relevant police force to obtain a police report
  • Contact the International Office immediately via studentsupport.io@coventry.ac.uk
  • Translate all documents which are not in English using an official translation company
  • See if you have stored electronic copies of the lost documents online that you can print out
  • If you are not in your country of origin or residence, check that your visa to the 3rd country does not expire whilst you are trying to be obtain a replacement UK visa
  • Where possible apply using a priority visa service so you are able to return to the UK immediately
  • If you are in term time and you are missing classes due to the loss, please email isc.reg@coventry.ac.uk and your faculty registry about your situation and the reasons for absence
 Queen’s Award for Enterprise Logo
University of the year shortlisted
QS Five Star Rating 2020
Coventry City of Culture 2021