This module is designed to develop students' clinical knowledge of the variety of approaches currently used within manual therapy in the assessment and management of neuromusculoskeletal dysfunction. Students will have the chance to evaluate the evidence base associated with the different approaches.
- This module provides students with the opportunity to learn a wide range of current manual therapy techniques from specialists from within the field.
- This module provides students with the opportunity to integrate learning into their own clinical practice and develop their clinical reasoning skills.
- To understand the principles of patient assessment and management including contraindications and indications as well as the integration of pain science;
- To analyse the different approaches to manual therapy;
- To evaluate existing approaches to manual therapy using current literature;
- Develop communicational and clinical reasoning skills that can allow for a more effective management of patients with neuromusculoskeletal disorders;
- Develop a range of psychomotor skills in manual therapy.
How will this course be taught
This module will use a variety of teaching and learning strategies. The module’s content will be delivered through seminar sessions, practical workshops, directed and self-directed study.
- Seminars – 44 hours
- Guided student activity – 100 hours
- Self-guided student activity – 56 hours
- Total activity – 200 hours
- Diploma or Degree in Physiotherapy
- Coursework 1: 30 minute Practical Viva (40% of module mark)
- Coursework 2: 2000 word Critical Review (60% of module mark)
How will this course enhance my career prospects?
- Successful completion of this module will contribute to students professional development within the field of musculoskeletal physiotherapy,
- Upon the successful completion of this module students should possess the qualities and knowledge within the practice of musculoskeletal physiotherapy, which can enhance employability and potential to influence clinical practice and service delivery.