The Centre for Academic Writing (CAW) offers a range of services for postgraduate students at Coventry University, along with some specialised resources, including the CU Harvard Reference Style Guide and Glossary (PDF, 357kb)
50-minute one-to-one tutorials
These tutorials can help MA/MSc and doctoral students at any stage in the writing process. Tutorials focus on the larger questions of writing, such as how to structure an essay, report or dissertation, how to improve academic style or how to reference correctly. Tutors are also happy to discuss students’ general queries on the writing process.
Online, synchronous and asynchronous tutorials
These tutorials take place online
- in synchronous mode, through Skype, when students can discuss live their assignment drafts with a CAW academic writing tutor
- in asynchronous mode, as email writing tutorials, when students submit their assignment drafts and later receive written and/or audio feedback from a CAW academic writing tutor.
Dissertation writing groups
CAW offers sessions which aim to provide postgraduate students with ‘protected writing time’ – a place away from the distractions of life where they can focus on their writing. Academic Writing Tutors from CAW are on hand to consult with students as they work on issues such as:
- academic style
If you are a Coventry University student and would like more information about these sessions or any of CAW's services, please contact CAW.
CAW offers workshops to our postgraduate students covering a variety of topics relating to academic writing:
- The Writing Process: General Guidelines to Improve Writing
- Academic Style: Pitfalls and How to Deal with Them
- Principles of Argumentation and Evidence in Scientific Writing
- Using Sources: From Article Critique to Literature Review
- General Principles of Planning and Structure
- Producing Reflective Writing
- Oral Presentations: Topic-Based Talks, Posters and PowerPoints
- How to Design CVs and Covering Letters.
CAW also runs the following workshops for postgraduates:
- Planning and Drafting Your Thesis;
- How to Write a Successful Journal Article.