Critical Practices Talks
Professor Carolina Rito
- The Herbert Art Gallery and Museum
The Critical Practices Talks is a series of monthly conversations curated by Carolina Rito with researchers and practitioners in the fields of art, curating, critical theory and museum studies. These conversations explore the capabilities of practice to produce knowledge, advance critical enquires and intervene in society.
These talks aim to contribute to a more comprehensive understanding of the role of practice research in the humanities; to support the consolidation of practice research in the Centre for Arts, Memory and Communities, Coventry University; and to disseminate the work of the Critical Practices strand more broadly.
The Critical Practices Talks launched a new series of conversations on the Black Arts Movement in Coventry. This strand of conversations is part of a Coventry University project in collaboration with the Herbert Gallery and Museum, and MAOKWO. The project aims to celebrate and map out the activity and impact of the movement in Coventry and the region.
The talks are recorded and published on the Critical Practices Talks website and YouTube channel, CAMC Curates newsletter, CAMC social media (@COVUNI_CAMC) and CAMC website.
List of talks
Critical Practices Talks
- Rolando Vázquez (associate professor of sociology at University College Roosevelt and cluster chair at the University College Utrecht);
- Wayne Modest (director of content for the National Museum of World Cultures, Rotterdam, and head of the research at the Center of Material Culture);
- Doreen Mende (curator, writer and associate professor for curatorial/politics, head of the CCC Research-based Master University of Art and Design, HEAD Genève);
- Beatrice von Bismarck (professor of art history at the Academy of Fine Arts Leipzig, and the lead of visual culture and cultures of the curatorial);
- Sepake Angiama (curator, educator and artistic director of INIVA, London)
- Mel Jordan (artist, writer and professor of art & the public sphere, Centre for Postdigital Cultures, Coventry University)
- Jill Journeaux, John Devane, Anthony Luvera and Carolina Rito (practitioner-researchers at the Critical Practices Strand, Centre of Arts, Memory and Communities, Coventry University)
Black Arts Movement in Coventry series
- Ian Sergeant (curator and PhD researcher at Birmingham City University)
- Vanley Burke (photographer)
- Sylvia Theuri (art educator, researcher and curator)
Find all of the recordings on the CPT YouTube channel.