Associate Head of School – Enterprise & Commercial
School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics
Faculty of Engineering, Environment and Computing
I am a fellow of the British Computer Society and a fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I have also been awarded with a university teaching fellowship in recognition of innovation in my teaching. I have extensive experience in knowledge transfer project delivery, academic leadership in HE, course management, curriculum development in online delivery and work based delivery, and quality assurance and enhancement.
I have been a managing director for a university commercial software house between 2013-2016, working for clients such as Comic Relief and colliers international.
My current position is the Associate Head of School – Enterprise and Commercial. My main responsibilities are to identify knowledge transfer, enterprise and commercial opportunities and to ensure their successful delivery.
- PhD, Computer Science, Heriot-Watt University, 2004.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, London, 2002.
- Computer Science BSc (Hons) and MSc, Dalian, 2000.
My research focuses mainly on the use of AI techniques to capture user’s interaction patterns that can be used to develop adaptive and intelligent applications. This research has been applied in applications such as intrusion detection on mobile devices, keyboard typing errors auto-correction, user behaviour prediction on social networks, etc.
My successful completed PhD supervision:
- Dr. Khurram Majeed, Investigation Leading To Behaviour-Based Hybrid Intrusion Detection System for Mobile Devices, 2014
- Dr. Wondimagegn MALLEDE, Semantic Web Mapping Relational Database, 2014
- Dr. Jun Li, Noisy Language Modelling Framework Using Neural Network Techniques, 2008
- eRaUI: e-Research Adaptive User Interface - Strand C, JISC funded project.
Recent outputs and publications
- Daehnhardt, E., Jing, Y., and Taylor, N. (2014) ‘Cultural and Geolocation Aspects of Communication in Twitter’. In The proceedings of the Third ASE International Conference on Social Informatics, ‘3rd ASE International Conference on Social Informatics’. Held 13-16 December 2014 in Cambridge, MA. Cambridge, MA: Academy of Science and Engineering.
- Majeed K., Jing, Y., Novakovic, D., and Ouazzane K. (2014) ‘Behavior Based Anomaly Detection for Smartphones using Machine Learning Algorithm’. In The proceedings of International conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, ‘ICSIS’2014’. Held 17-18 October 2014 in Dubai, UAE, 67-73.
- Daehnhardt, E., and Jing, Y. (2013) 'An approach to software selection using semantic web' IAENG International Journal of Computer Science 40 (4), 238-249.
- Ouazzane, K., Li, J., Kazemian, H., Jing, Y., and Boyd, R. (2012) ‘An Artificial Intelligence-Based Language Modeling Framework’. Expert Systems with Applications 39 (5), 5960-5970.
- Jing, Y. (2015) ‘Using a university IT agency (the WOW agency) and an internal virtual business (WOWBiz) to provide students with compulsory work experience and work related learning’. In Siva-Jothy, D. (ed.) Proceedings of the 2015 Placement and Employability Professionals’ Conference, ASET Annual Conference 2015. Held 8-10 September 2015 in Exeter, UK. Sheffield: ASET, 104-110.
- Intelligent agent
- Mobile app development
- Work placement and work related learning
- MSc project
- BSc project
Areas of expertise
- User Modeling and adaptive user interfaces
- Social Informatics
- Security framework for mobile devices
- Student entrepreneurship and employability