Dr Saad Ali Amin
Saad Amin is the Post-graduate Programme Manager and Principal Lecturer in Network Computing in the Faculty of Engineering and Computing.His main area of research is Health Informatics.
One of his researches interests centres on the design of biomedical image processing algorithms and multimedia applications on parallel computers and distributed computing, and their implementation on Cluster of workstations (CoW). He is also involved in the area of context-aware multimedia information systems for e-health decision support.Previously, he was involved with a European Community project at the Parallel Algorithms Research Centre, Loughborough University.
The main objectives of the project were to establish a European standard platform for the exploration of biocomputational, nanotechnological and holographic algorithms.Dr Amin is the principal investigator of several funded projects. He has supervised eight completed PhD students and has eight current PhD students. He has published more than 70 papers in peer-reviewed journals, reputable conferences and books chapters on many aspects of this research. He has organised international conferences and workshops, as well as acted as Session Chair and on program committees for many international conferences.
He served on the IEEE Committee for Signal Processing Chapter for the UK and Ireland and Vice-Chairman of the British Computer Society/Middle East section.
- Pg.Cert., Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Coventry University
- Ph.D., Computer Science, Loughborough University
- M.Phil., Computer and Control Systems, Brunel University
- Multimedia and e-learning
- Biomedical Computing
- Biomedical Applications
- Distributed computing
- Image Processing
- Parallel Processing
- Systolic Arrays
- Parallel Algorithms
- Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI)
- Neural network
- Al-Raisi, A., Amin, S., Iqbal, R., and Thompson, P. (2013) 'Evaluation of E-Performance System: A Cultural Perspective'. Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design, 'CSCWD 2013'. 27-29 Jun 2013 in Whistler, Canada
- Aljarf, A., Amin, S., Filippas, J., and Shuttleworth, J. (2013) 'Creating Stego-Images through Hiding Single and Multiple Data Using Different Steganography Tools'. Proceedings of the International Conference on Signal Processing, Pattern Recognition, and Applications, 'SPPRA 2013'. Held 2013 in Spain
- Aljarf, A., Amin, S., Filippas, J., and Shuttleworth, J. (2013) 'Develop a Detection System for Grey and ColourStego Images'. International Journal of Modeling and Optimization 3 (5), 458-461.
- Amin, S.A. (2013) 'Classification of Pervasive Healthcare Systems: A Survey, Developments in e-Systems Engineering'. Proceedings of DeSE’13, 'DeSE’13'. Held 2013 in UAE
- Al-Raisi, A., Amin, S., and Tahir, S. (2011) 'E-Performance Systems: A Method of Measuring Performance'. International Journal of Web Portals 3 (1).
- Al-Raisi, A., Amin, S., and Tahir, S. (2011) 'Evaluation of E-Performance Analysis and Assessment in the UAE Organizations'. Journal of Internet and Information Systems 2 (2).
- Anya, O., Tawfik, H., Nagar, A., and Amin, S.A. (2010) 'Context-Aware Decision Support in Knowledge-Intensive Collaborative E-Work'. In Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. UK: Elsevier
- Anya, O., Tawfik, H., Amin, S., Nagar, A., and Shaalan, K. (2010) 'Context-Aware Knowledge Modelling for Decision Support in E-Health'. Proceedings of the E-Health, the IEEE Computational Intelligence, 'E-Health, the IEEE Computational Intelligence'. Held 18-23 Jul 2010 in Barcelona, Spain
- Khushman, S., Todman, A., and Amin, S. (2010) 'The acceptance of e-business websites in Arab countries'. Oxford Research Forum journal 3 (2), 33-47.
- Oikonomou, A., Amin, S.A., Naguib, R.N.G., Todman, A., and Al-Omishy, H. (2006) 'Interactive Reality System (IRiS): Interactive 3D Video Playback in Multimedia Applications'. Journal Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics 10 (2),145-149
- Oikonomou, A., Amin, S., Naguib, R.N.G., Todman, A., and Al-Omishy, H. (2006) 'Interactive Reality System (IRiS): Interactive 3D Video Playback in Multimedia Applications for Breast Awareness'. Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics 10 (2), 145-149.
- Sabbagh, A.O., James, A.E., Bali, R., and Amin, S.A. (2004) 'A novel modelling methodology for informatics and knowledge management in the Saudi Health organisations'. Oxford Research Forum journal 2 (1), 69-79
- Breast cancer detection, BUiD Research Funding (UAE)
- Parallel computing and medical imaging in collaboration with a number of hospitals in the Midlands region, UK Research Funding
- Collaboration with a number of European institutes, European Community (EC) Funding
- Project Manager for Computerised Documentation Bank, UNESCO
- Context-Aware Multimedia Information System for e-Health Decision Support, Prime Minister Initiative 2 (UK)
- To design and develop novel “Reliable and Energy Cognitive Radio Multichannel MAC Protocol and testbed for Adhoc Networks", Knowledge Exchange and Enterprise Network KEEN (UK)
Selected Professional Activities
- Member of the Executive Council of Dubai Government Excellence Projects
- Organising Committee Member and Chair: the 4th International Conference on Developments in e-Systems Engineering (DeSE’11)
- Organising committee member and steering committee member: the 17th International Conference on Management of Technology (IAMOT 2008)
- International Program Committee Member: Signal Processing, Pattern Recognition, and Applications Conferences
- International Program Committee Member: Biomedical Engineering Conferences
- Fellow Member of the School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Computer Architectures and Principles
- Advanced Computing Technologies
- Health Informatics
- 3 current PhD students
- 4 completed PhD students
- Managing the MSc courses at international partner institutions
Engineering and Computing Building
+44 (0)24 77658583