Lecturer, Event Management
School of Marketing and Management
As a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), an active member of both the Association for Event Management education (AEME) and EuroCHRIE and with a number of years industry experience working in a variety of event and sport settings, I continue to work closely with industry and the professional bodies in developing the undergraduate Event and Sport Management programmes offered at Coventry University. My current Lecturer in Event Management role encompasses teaching responsibilities which span both the undergraduate and postgraduate suite of Event and Sport Management courses. My module themes include such topics as International Event Management, Live Event Management, Event Planning and Project Management as well as Undergraduate and Postgraduate research dissertation project supervision.
On an external scale I have directly influenced the learning of industry event management practitioners through being the independent lead on the development and introduction of the Professional Certificate in Event Management CPD course.
- Doctor of Education (EdD) Educational Studies - University of Sheffield Thesis Topic: Curriculum development and employability in Event Management, 2020 (expected).
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education and Professional Practice (PGCert HEPP) - Coventry University, 2012.
- Executive Certificate in Event Management - Edinburgh Napier University, 2010.
- MSc Sport Management – Loughborough University, 2008.
- BA (Hons) Sport Management – Coventry University, 2007.
My research interests are inter-related with the focus of my professional capacity and on pedagogy in higher education, curriculum design and improvement of the student experience in event management education. I am currently studying for an Educational Doctorate (EdD) at the University of Sheffield alongside my other duties:
Thesis topic: Curriculum development and employability in Event Management Education.
Recent outputs and publications
- Randall, J. (2015) ‘Educating the 21st century graduate: a professional pathway to the stars!’ Society for Research into Higher Education. Held 8-11 December 2015 in Wales, UK.
- Randall, J. (2015) ‘Event Management Education: Educating the 21st century graduate’. Association for Business Schools Teaching and Learning Conference 2015. Held 28-29 April 2015 in York, UK.
- BA (Hons) Event Management
- BA (Hons) International Event and Hospitality Management
- BA (Hons) Sport Management
- BA (Hons) Sport Marketing
- MSc Event Management
Current modules I teach include:
- Introduction to Sport Marketing
- Introduction to Event Management
- Live Event Management
- International Event Management
- Event Management
- Sport Management
- Sport Marketing