Senior Lecturer - Human Resource Management
School of Marketing and Management
Coventry Business School
Faculty of Business and Law
LinkedIn: Gary Connor's profile
Telephone: +44 (0) 24 7765 9423
I worked in the steel industry for over twenty years before starting a career in higher education at Coventry University. I am now a Senior Lecturer at Coventry University and Course Director of the Human Resource Department’s Post-Graduate Master Top-Up programme. My main areas of research are the assessment of students with regard to employability, fairness, and inclusivity. Additionally, I am responsible for the teaching of research methods on HRM/HRD related programmes. Most recently, I achieved the status of senior fellow of the HEA and peer review for BAM, UFHRD, Sage and OUP.
- Current – Studying PhD – Student Assessment
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education, 2008
- MA HRM – Distinction MA HRM, 2007
- BA Honours - 1st Class in Business & HRM, 2006
My PhD focuses on inclusivity in HE student assessment, with a critical realism underpinning. Areas of focus include the purpose of the business school, the status quo of assessment in Higher Education and the power of the voice to communicate knowledge & understanding, with the sole aim of creating change in how students are assessed in the 21st Century.
Recent outputs and publications
- Connor, G., and Morris, A. (2015) Innovation in assessment. Unpublished booklet. Coventry University.
- Connor, G. (2015) ‘The Student Voice’. in Realising Critical HRD: Stories of Reflecting, Voicing, and Enacting Critical Practice. Ed. by Callahan, J., Stewart, J., Rigg, C., Sambrook, S., and Trehan, K. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Callahan, J., and Connor. G. (2015) ‘The competing interests of paradigm and praxis in critical HRD research: Incorporating quantitative methods to enact critical practice’. in Handbook of Research Methods on Human Resource Development. ed. by Saunders, M., and Tosey, P. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 311-324.
- Connor, G., McFadden, M., and McLean, I. (2012). ‘Organisational Design’. in Developing People and Organisations. ed. by Stewart, J., and Rogers. P. London: CIPD, 1-35.
- M08SMM – Research Methods
- M09SMM – Consultancy Projects
- M53HRM – Employee Engagement and Relations
- M59HRM – HR Analytics
Areas of expertise
- Student Assessment - Inclusivity
- Research Methods
- Research Philosophy
- Research Design
- Employee Engagement