Dr. Neil Pyper
Associate Head of School – Enterprise and Commercial
I am an Associate Head of the School of Strategy and Leadership. I am responsible for corporate engagement and developing commercial activity within the School. Prior to embarking on an academic career, I spent over a decade as a country risk analyst and consultant, specialising in Latin America. This region remains a key focus of my professional interests. My research interests focus especially on the internationalisation of Latin American multinationals. I publish and advise frequently on economics and politics in the region for various consultancies and media outlets. I also draw on my consultancy career to pursue research in the area of strategic foresight. I am particularly interested in how consultancies engage in forward-looking analysis.
I am Co-Chair of the Strategy Special Interest Group at the British Academy of Management. I am also a Visiting Professor at the Universidad del Pacífico, Lima, Peru. I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- PhD, University of Liverpool, 2002
- Economics BA, Open University, 2009
- Latin American Studies BA (Hons), University of Liverpool, 1997
I have two primary research interests:
- Latin American multinationals: I am especially interested in the institutional factors that act as barriers to Multilatinas internationalisating beyond the region.
- Forward-looking analysis: I am interested in the processes that specialist consultancy firms use to produce forward-looking analytical judgements. This work engages with theoretical ideas related to sensemaking, intuition and rationality.
Recent outputs and publications
- Davis, P., and Pyper, N. (2015) ‘Enacting a new approach to scenario planning: The potential of pragmatic ideas’. Foresight 17 (5), 427-443.
- Davis, P., and Pyper, N. (2015) ‘Applying actor-network theory and pragmatist thinking to the process of implementing scenarios’. International Journal of Foresight and Innovation Policy 10 (2-4), 88-102.
- Tapinos, E., and Pyper, N. ‘Mapping the forward-looking analysis process’. Technological Forecasting and Social Change [forthcoming]
- Pyper, N., and Monsalve, M. (2016) ‘The challenges facing multilatinas going global: Is hierarchical capitalism a limiting factor?’ 2016 conference of the British Academy of Management (BAM). Held 6-8 September 2016 in Newcastle, UK.
- Pyper, N., and Tapinos, E. (2015) ‘Expert judgement in forward-looking analysis: The role of intuition and rationality’. 2015 conference of the British Academy of Management (BAM). Held 8-10 September in Portsmouth, UK.
- Advancing Career Development (349SAM)
- Business and Management Dissertation (343SAM)
- Continuous Professional Development 1 (120SAM)
- Critical Issues in Globalisation (366SAM)
Areas of expertise
- International business
- Latin America
- Strategic management
- Strategic foresight