Dr. Kirsten Stevens
Senior Lecturer in Human Resource Management
School of Marketing and Management
Coventry Business School
Faculty of Business and Law
I am a Senior Lecturer in Human Resource Management at Coventry University. My current University responsibilities include the Course Director role for the MA in International HRM delivered at Emirates Aviation University in Dubai, Course Director and Link Tutor for several 3rd Party CPD contracts, supervision of PhD and MA students, module leader for a variety of Postgraduate modules and member of the University’s Athena Swann Assessment Team and Faculty Safety Sub Group.
Prior to becoming an academic, I undertook a variety of HR Practitioner roles both within the public and private sector and therefore have a sound understanding of the many HR issues and challenges facing organisations. My doctoral thesis explored how homeworking affects a line manager’s ability to exercise control and consequently I have an interest in all forms of new ways of working and flexible working practices. I am a Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and an External Examiner at Birmingham City University.
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2016.
- Doctorate in Social Sciences, 2009.
- Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, 2009.
My research interests relate to the geographical dispersion of employees and consequently exploring all forms of new ways of working, remote and online learning, virtual and multinational teams and work life balance. In addition, I have undertaken a variety of consultancy roles including the provision of HR advice for not for profit organisations and relevant HR input on a variety of external courses requested by independent organisations.
Recent outputs and publications
- Stevens, K. (2016) ‘Learning on the move: Combining part-time study with an international flight schedule’. BAM Conference. Held 6-8 September 2016 in Newcastle, UK.
- Stevens, K., and Searle, R. (2013) ‘The Homeworkers Revenge: How controls are subverted as perceived trust declines.’ BAM Conference. Held 10-12 September in Liverpool, UK.
- Mills, S., Lee, A., Pinto, K., and Stevens, K. (2012) ‘Organisational Development’ in Developing People and Organisations. Ed. By Steward, J., and Rogers, P. CIPD.
- International Human Resource Management MSc
- International Business MSc
Areas of expertise
- Flexible working practices
- Online and Remote Learning
- Diversity (International Students)
- Multinational Teams
- Virtual Teams