Dr. Joan Lockyer
I am the Assistant Director, International Centre for Transformational Entrepreneurship (ICTE) at Coventry University. Formed in 2015, the Centre evolved from the Institute of Applied Entrepreneurship (IAE). I joined the IAE in 2009 and transferred to ICTE maintaining responsibility for the development and delivery of its academic programmes.
I have worked in Higher Education for 15 years, prior to which I worked in industry (in product development, testing and certification) for over 10 years and consultancy for 12 years. My teaching experience covers the full spectrum of accredited and non-accredited programme (undergraduate; postgraduate to doctoral level; professional development and vocational). I am experienced in enterprise education, leading on the development of the Masters in Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Education and co-delivering the International Enterprise Educators Programme (IEEP). I have developed a range of modules that support enterprise and entrepreneurship skills development in undergraduates and postgraduates, regardless of discipline.
I have successfully delivered / contributed to a number of European projects, with a total value of over 5 million Euros, including:
- KNOW-ECO (2011-2013) ERDF, INTERREG IVC Mini-programme DISTRICT+ (Project Leader)
- European University Enterprise Network - EUEN (2011-2013) (Project Leader)
- Innovation University Enterprise Network- I-UEN (2011-2016)
- TRADEIT (2013-2016) an FP7 Project (Work Package Lead: Technology Transfer)
- PhD, Keele University, 2003.
- BA (Hons) Business Studies, Preston Polytechnic, 1985.
My research interests embrace entrepreneurship in a range of contexts, but with a focus on the transformative effect of entrepreneurship through education, leadership and innovation. In addition to the above European projects, I have also worked on projects in Oman, South Africa, China, Nigeria and in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. I am an external examiner at the Institute of Banking, Ireland and at Plymouth University.
Recent outputs and publications
- Lockyer, J. (2014) ‘Creating a Framework for Collaboration: An exploration of Knowledge Alliances’. In Galbraith, B. (ed.) Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Innovation and
- Entrepreneurship, ‘9th European Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship’. Held 18-19 September 2014 in Belfast, UK. Reading: Academic Conferences and Publishing International Limited, 295-301
- Lockyer, J., and Adams, N. (2014) ‘Venture Creation Programmes: Causation or Effectuation?’. . In Galbraith, B. (ed.) Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Innovation and
- Entrepreneurship, ‘9th European Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship’. Held 18-19 September 2014 in Belfast, UK. Reading: Academic Conferences and Publishing International Limited, 287-295
- Lockyer, J., and Wick, D. (2014) ‘City Labs: Supporting eco-innovation through best practice exchange and cooperation’. Conference Proceedings ENoLL OpenLivingLabs Days, ‘ENoLL OpenLivingLab Days’. Held 2-5 September 2014 in Amsterdam, Netherlands, 194-206
- Lockyer, J., and George, S. (2012) ‘What Women Want: Barriers to Female Entrepreneurship in the West Midlands’. International Journal of Gender and Entrepreneurship 4 (2), 179-195.
- Lockyer, J., and McCabe, D. (2011) ‘Leading Through Fear: Emotionality, Rationality and Innovation in a UK Manufacturing Company’. European Journal of International Management 5 (1), 48-61.
Chapters in books:
- Lockyer, J. (2015) ‘Educational Transformation and the Role of the Entrepreneurial University in Africa’. In Systemic Entrepreneurship: Contemporary Issues and Case Studies. Ed. by Maas, G., and Jones, P. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan
- Lockyer, J., Greenaway, C., and Dewitt, S. ‘Still bringing up the rear: Why women will always be ‘other’ in entrepreneurship’s masculine instrumental discourse’. In Women’s Entrepreneurship: Going beyond the gender-neutral approach. Ed. by Yousafzai, S., Lindgreen, A., Saeed, S., Henry, C. Fayolle, A., and Maon, F. Farnham: Gower [forthcoming]
- Entrepreneurial Leadership and Management
- Personal Entrepreneurial Development
Areas of expertise
- Entrepreneurship in Education
- Small Business Development