International Application Guide

Application support for international students

No matter how old you are, applying for university in a foreign country can be a stressful and worrying prospect. To try and help you, we've created a page full of useful links and advice for both EU and international students that are considering starting a Coventry University course in May or September 2019.

STAGE 1: About the application form

STAGE 2: Money and funding

STAGE 3: Getting your CAS

STAGE 4: Applying for your visa

STAGE 5: Finding accommodation

Top 200

in the world young university rankings

Times Higher Education, 2017



If you haven't already done so, the first thing international students need to do is apply for a course. This is a simple process and you'll get an initial decision within 2 days. Applications can be made through a number of different ways: 

Alternatively, if you're an EU undergraduate student then you must apply through UCAS

Supporting Documents

To support your application you will need to provide the International Office with the following documents:

  • All academic transcripts
  • Copies of degree/diploma certificates or work reference if employed
  • One academic reference
  • An English language test score
  • Your personal statement
  • Copy of your current passport

Further information on how to apply can be found on our How to Apply page


Proof of Funds

As an international student coming to the UK, one of the things you'll need to consider is how you'll fund your studies.

Before international students are issued a CAS to make a visa application, we need to see proof of funds have been maintained for 28 days. This means that you will need to send bank statements to show that you have saved all unpaid tuition fees and living expenses in your bank account for 28 days. Please note that this stage doesn't apply to EU students.

Paying your Fees

In order to receive your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance to Study) letter, you must first pay your deposit amount. This amount will be shown in your offer letter from us. We highly recommend that you pay your deposit as soon as possible after you receive your offer letter - this will give the maximum amount of time possible for you to complete the rest of the process. 

Have you applied for a scholarship yet? We have a wide range of scholarships available for September!


Once you've paid your deposit, shown the university you have saved the appropriate level of funds and, in some cases, successfully undertaken an interview, you can then go through the process of obtaining your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter.

Your CAS letter will be sent to you in an email after you confirm all of your details and study offer with us.

You can read UK government information on the CAS letter here.


EU Students 

If you hold an EU passport, you will not need to apply for a visa. Undergraduates must apply through UCAS, whereas postgraduates should follow the guidance given on our How to Apply page.

International Students

For countries outside of the EU, sometimes the visa process can take between 3 and 8 weeks to complete. You can see the average amount of time it takes to process visas from your country on the UK Government website

Whichever country you're from, if you have any questions about the visa application process please contact Don't forget to include your application number in the email!

You may also find the following visa information links useful:

There's still plenty of time left to apply for a course at Coventry University in September 2018.


The final (and possibly most important) thing to sort out is your accommodation. Arriving in a new country and having nowhere to live isn't going to be a good start to your life at university so it's vital that you arrange a place to stay beforehand, whether that means booking a room at a hotel for the first few days or securing a place in university-owned accommodation.

If you wish to apply for university accommodation, you will need to supply your CAS letter. However, if you would prefer to secure accommodation earlier, you can apply for private accommodation without a CAS letter.

Read our accommodation pages for further details on the available university halls of residence and the private tenancy opportunities.

Don't worry if you can't get university-owned accommodation. Our partners at FutureLets have lots of suitable privately-owned properties.