Short Term Study Visa
Should I apply for a Short-Term Study Visa?
If you are coming to the UK to study a course for less than 6 months and do not intend to extend your study in the UK, you should apply for a Short-Term Study Visa. This includes if you are coming on a short study abroad placement, studying here for just one semester, or doing re-sits of a final year module. If you are applying to study a Pre-Sessional English course, you should apply for a Tier 4 Visa.
The Short-Term Study Visa cannot be extended and you cannot switch to another visa category from this visa. You must leave the UK when this visa expires.
How can I apply for a Short-Term Study Visa?
You can only apply for this type of visa from outside the UK. You must apply online here. When asked for your “reason to visit”, choose:
- Reason for visit? – select “study”
- Visa type? – select “study (non Points-Based System)”
- Visa sub type? - select “study - short-term student 6 months”.
One of the documents you will need to provide as part of your Short-Term Study Visa application is a letter from Coventry University confirming that you are required to study here. If you are coming on an Erasmus or Study Abroad placement, this can be obtained from the faculty you will be studying in, or from the Centre for Global Engagement. If you are coming to re-take modules or for another short course, contact email@example.com to request this letter. You do not require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for this type of visa.
What other evidence will I need?
- Your current passport or other valid travel document;
- Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip – the Home Office suggests providing bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months. There is no specified amount of money you need to show, but you may wish to look at the Tier 4 (General) financial requirements as a guideline
- Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you do not need to pay for accommodation or travel before applying for your visa, but you should have at least an idea of where you will stay and when you will return home. Try to be as specific as possible when you give the date you expect to leave the UK
- Your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test
- Contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country if you are under 18 years old.
You will also need to provide translations of any of these documents which are not in English.
What can I do on this visa?
You can study full-time or part-time on a Short-Term Study Visa, but work (including voluntary work) is prohibited on this visa, so you cannot take up a job. You cannot bring any dependants with you on this visa.
When should I apply for this visa?
If you are a visa national (a national of any of the countries listed in Appendix 2 of Appendix V of the UKVI Immigration Rules), you must apply for your Short-Term Study Visa before travelling to the UK. You can apply for this visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK, and you should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
If you are a national of a country not listed as a visa national country, you can obtain your Short-Term Study Visa on arrival in the UK. You will still need to prepare the required documents, including your Short-Term Study Visa letter from the University. When passing through immigration control at the UK border, you should present these documents and ask for a Short-Term Study Visa. Do not request a visit visa, as you cannot study on a visit visa and would not be able to switch to the correct visa from within the UK. You can still apply for your Short-Term Study Visa before travelling if you would prefer to do so.
You cannot enter the UK through the Channel Tunnel or Ireland if requesting your visa at the border as you may not receive the correct stamp in your passport.
What should I do when my Short-Term Study Visa expires?
You must leave the UK on or before the expiry date on your Short-Term Study Visa. You cannot extend this visa or switch to another type of visa from within the UK.
If you have any further questions about the Short-Term Study Visa, please contact the International Student Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (+44)(0)2477 652152.