Short Term Study Visa

Should I apply for a Short-Term Study Visa?

Since 1st December 2020, Short Term Study visa is only for students who apply for entry clearance to do an English language course between six and 11 months long. If you are applying to study a Pre-Sessional English course, you should apply for a Student Visa . For study below six months, you need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa route.

The Short-Term Study Visa cannot be extended, and you cannot switch to another visa category from this visa in the UK. You must leave the UK when this visa expires.

How can I apply for a Short-Term Study Visa?

You can only apply for this type of visa from outside the UK. You must apply online here. You can also use “check if you need a UK visa” tool to self-check to see which type of visa you will need. When asked for your “reason to visit”, choose:

  • Reason for visit? – select “study”
  • Visa type? – select “study (non Points-Based System)”
  • Study length in the UK for? - select longer than 6 months (Check your offer letter)

You do not require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for this type of visa.

If you are coming to re-take modules or for another short course,  you will need either Student visa or Standard Visitor visa, depending on your course length, please contact to check. 

What other evidence will I need?

  • Your current passport or other valid travel document;
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip – the Home Office suggests providing bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months. There is no specified amount of money you need to show, but you may wish to look at the Student and Child Student guidance.
  • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you do not need to pay for accommodation or travel before applying for your visa, but you should have at least an idea of where you will stay and when you will return home. Try to be as specific as possible when you give the date you expect to leave the UK.
  • Your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test.
  • Contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country if you are under 18 years old.

You will also need to provide translations of any of these documents which are not in English.

What can I do on this visa?

You can only study English language between 6 and 11 months in the UK, but work (including voluntary work) is prohibited on this visa, so you cannot take up a job. You cannot bring any dependants with you on this visa. You cannot study on any other course or change your course while in the UK. You cannot carry out any business in the UK. You cannot apply for most benefits (public funds) or the State Pension.

When should I apply for this visa?

You must apply for your Short-Term Study Visa before travelling to the UK if the purpose of applying is for your English language course between 6 and 11 months. You can apply for this visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK, and you should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

What should I do when my Short-Term Study Visa expires?

You must leave the UK on or before the expiry date on your Short-Term Study Visa. You cannot extend this visa or switch to another type of visa from within the UK.

If you have any further questions about the Short-Term Study Visa or Standard Visitor Visa, please contact the International Student Support Team at or by calling (+44)(0)2477 652152.

More information about this type of visa and its requirements can be found on the website and from the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

 Queen’s Award for Enterprise Logo
University of the year shortlisted
QS Five Star Rating 2020
Coventry City of Culture 2021