Finance aim to offer a quality customer service in line with our Finance Charter to deliver the standards you expect from us for which we have received the CharterMark accreditation for customer service excellence.
Our aim is to constantly improve our service for the benefit of all our students and staff.
The role of Finance includes:
- Provision of strategic, professional, and management advice and guidance on financial and purchasing policy across all areas of the Higher Education Corporation (HEC).
- Supply of appropriate financial procedures and provision of financial management and information to respond to (and inform) the corporate strategies and objectives of the HEC.
- Preparation of final accounts for all areas of the HEC.
- Preparation of budgets and their subsequent management, administration and control.
- Preparation of costing and pricing proposals for and assessment of the financial implications of projects, initiatives and internal and external changes, including the use of financial modelling tools such as discounted cash flows, net present value etc.
- Operation of all necessary controls to secure clean audit certification.
- Operation of an accounting service to all subsidiary companies and additionally to the Students' Union.
- Provision of guidance, instruction and support to other staff throughout the University responsible for managing financial resources.
- Provision of advice and guidance on all aspects of purchasing and contractual matters and ensuring that the University complies with its obligations under both EC and UK procurement legislation.
- Payment of all expenditure, collection of all income, credit control and treasury management.
- General advice on financing, accounting, insurance and taxation including where applicable liaison with banks, auditors (external and internal), insurance agencies, Customs and Excise, Inland Revenue etc.
- Provision of support for financial aspects of research, including pricing and costing.
Coventry University is one of the national leaders in devolution of budgets in a public sector organisation, placing differing challenges on Finance staff, from demonstrable overall control on behalf of the Board of Governors through to a strong service orientation to our budget holders and managers. Overall control demands working to and delivering to exacting standards and deadlines.
Finance additionally supplies a full range of financial and accounting services to all subsidiary companies and to the Students' Union.