Extending your master’s with professional experience
Coventry University understands the potential benefit that professional experience could have to your future employability, giving you the opportunity to develop practical skills and experience.
Coventry Law School have added a professional experience option to a number of master’s programmes, providing you with the opportunity to add professional experience to your one year master’s programme. These opportunities can last for one, two or three semesters (4, 8 or 12 months respectively), with the variable lengths aiming to provide you with the flexibility to apply for experience from a wider range of employers. Taking professional experience could therefore extend your master’s course to last 16, 20 or 24 months in total depending on the number of semesters you undertake.
With the support of our employability and placements team, during your first semester we could help you to identify, prepare and apply for a range of professional experience opportunities. If you are successful in securing one, you would then begin your professional experience during semester three, as the table below shows. Depending on the length of the professional experience, you would then continue your studies in Coventry during either semester four, five or six as set out in the table below.
|1 Year LLM||2 Year LLM with professional experience|
|Semester one||core modules||core modules|
|Semester two||core modules||core modules|
|Semester three||core modules and project||professional experience|
|Semester four||professional experience (core modules and project if completing one semester of professional experience)|
|Semester five||professional experience (core modules and project if completing two semesters of professional experience)|
|Semester six||core modules and project if completing three semesters of professional experience|
- Undertaking a professional experience option will incur additional fees. Completing three semesters of professional experience will incur a fee of £4000.00, which will be pro-rated down if you choose to complete only one or two semesters of professional experience (for one semester, this fee will be £1,333.33, and for two semesters £2,666.66) Fees will be invoiced separately only when your placement is secured and tier 4 visa extended if required. To extend your master’s with the professional experience option, you will need to prove you have secured a tier 4 visa extension through the submission of relevant paperwork.
- Professional experience opportunities may be subject to additional costs, visa requirements being met and subject to availability and/or competitive application.
- Professional experience opportunities are not guaranteed and you will be responsible for securing your own professional experience opportunity, however you will benefit from the support of our employability and placements team in trying to identify and secure an opportunity.
- If you change your mind or are unable to secure professional experience, you can still complete your master’s in the first year.
- Master’s courses with the professional experience option are available to UK, EU and international students.
- Master’s courses with the professional experience option are designed to be fully tier 4 Visa compliant, subject to you successfully extending your visa.
- Professional experience modules take place in semesters three to five, and are assessed on a pass/fail basis.
- During your professional experience, you will be supported by an academic supervisor as well as our employability team.