Dr. Alexander Kazamias
Alexander Kazamias is Senior Lecturer in Politics at Coventry University. He was visiting research fellow at Princeton University in 2005 and the University of Edinburgh in 2011. His research interests cover the politics and history of modern Greece, Greek-Turkish relations, the history of modern Egypt and critical international relations theory. He is author of Greece and the Cold War, London, I.B. Tauris, 2014 and of several journal articles and book chapters, such as ‘Antiquity as Cold War Propaganda: The Political Use of the Classical Past in Post-Civil War Greece’, D. Tziovas (ed) Reimagining the Past: Antiquity and Modern Greek Culture, Oxford University Press, 2014. He has presented twenty-five conference papers and has given guest lectures on diverse aspects of his research at the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Princeton, Moscow State, Cairo, Edinburgh and King’s College, London. His press contributions include articles in leading British, Greek and Arabic newspapers and periodicals, like the Times Literary Supplement, Kathimerini, Anti, Ta Nea, Economicos Tachydromos and Al-Ahram Weekly and his media appearances cover interviews for BBC Radio 5, BBC1, Russia Today and Greek State Television (ERT).
- Kazamias, A. (2012) 'Pseudo-Hegelian Contrivances: The uses of German Idealism in the discourse of the post-Civil War Greek state'. Kambos: Cambridge Papers in Modern Greek 19, 47-73.
- Kazamias, A. (2011) 'The 'Anger Revolutions' in the Middle East: an answer to decades of failed reform'. Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies 13 (2), 143-156.
- Stouraiti, A., and Kazamias, A. (2010) 'The Imaginary Topographies of the Megali Idea: National Territory as Utopia'. In Spatial Conceptions of the Nation: Modernizing Geographies in Greece and Turkey. Ed. by Diamandouros, N., Dragonas, T., and Keyder, C. London: I.B. Tauris, 11-34.
- Kazamias, A. (2009) 'Between Language, Land and Empire: Humanist and Orientalist Perspectives on Egyptian-Greek Identity'. In Greek Diaspora and Migration since 1700: Society, Politics and Culture. Ed. by Tziovas, D. Farnham: Ashgate, 177-192.
- Kazamias, A. (2009) 'The Nasserite ‘Purge’ of the Greeks from Egypt: Myths and Realities'. Journal of the Hellenic Diaspora 35 (2), 13-34.
- Kazamias, A. (2007) 'The imperialist ‘faith of the nation’: The Greek Expedition to Egypt, May-August 1882'. In The Greek World between the Age of Enlightenment and the Twentieth Century. Ed. by Dimadis, K. Athens: Ellinika Grammata, 99-102.
- Kazamias, A. (2006) 'The Greek Variable in EU-Turkish Relations'. In Turkey and the EU: Internal Dynamics and External Challenges. Ed. by Joseph, J. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 138-160.
- Kazamias, A. (2005) 'I anodos ke ptossi tou kratikou kommatismou [The Rise and Fall of Greek Corporatism]'. In I embloki ton metarrythmiseon stin Ellada [The Entanglement of Reforms in Greece]. Greece: Papazissis, 59-82.
- Kazamias, A. (2001) 'L'Unione Monetaria Europea: Storia di una contro-egemonia? [European Currency Union: The history of a counter-hegemony?]'. In L'Euro - Scenari Economici e Dimensione Simbolica. Ed. by Sommo, L.C. Milan: Guerini Associati, 89-100.
- Kazamias, A. (1997) 'The quest for modernisation in Greek foreign policy and its limitations'. Mediterranean Politics 2 (2), 71-94.