National Transport Design Centre
Opened May 2017, the NTDC is designed to explore new areas of transport design research and find new ways to use existing equipment, as well as creating new technologies. It's both provocative and surprising, ambitious and disruptive, creating real transferable outcomes and impact.
Ian Callum, Director of Design at Jaguar talks about the role of the NTDC.
See more videos from Ian in our Video Gallery.
To maximise its effectiveness, the NTDC functions in a truly cross-disciplinary way, bringing designers, technologists, coders, together with artists, gamers, material specialists and fashion experts. It will use leading edge technology to create and refine new solutions.
Coventry University is able to provide access to experts from across these disciplines feeding into the NTDC, as well as benefiting from the research and outcomes of the Centre.
The NTDC also supports and cultivates future generations of Transport Designers through Coventry University’s regular interaction across the schools network, and our relationship with, for example, the Coventry Transport Museum.
The aims of the national Transport Design Centre can only be achieved through a singular culture which actively encourages exploration, playfulness and open-ended discovery.
The 1800 m2 NTDC is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, including:
- A 6m interactive power wall which allows users to explore detailed design and engineering concepts in virtual reality;
- Advanced clay milling facilities for creating physical models of vehicles;
- A projection mapping system which can cast digital images onto 3D objects below, helping designers to assess how multiple options would appear on full-scale models.
- Wearable devices for creating virtual, augmented and mixed reality environments
- Precision CNC milling machines for scale model creation
- A range of 3D printing technologies
- Large bed graphics printers
- Structured white-light 3D scanning for reverse engineering.
National Transport Design Centre, Swift Road, Off Puma Way, Coventry, CV1 2TT
Our vision is to be recognised as a world leader in understanding the factors which influence transport design and how that understanding is articulated in physical and virtual form.
A transforming world needs transformational solutions. Predicting how world contexts will evolve is at the heart of strategic innovation. We believe in designing for today and tomorrow, disrupting existing norms, breaking moulds and challenging conventions. But novelty is not enough, we need to understand the challenges facing tomorrow’s world and find solutions that transform mobility today.
- We will think about design differently and create the new paradigm by breaking the status quo.
- We will be disruptive and challenge the existing norms, delivering realisable solutions.
- We will exist at the intersection of art and technology, marrying the beauty of form to elegance of function through creativity and innovation.
- We will educate the designers of the future for the future.
World mobility isn’t changing. It has changed. And this is only the beginning. The NTDC is designed to meet these demands.