Coventry University awards Honorary Doctorate to inspirational public relations expert
Thursday 25 November 2021
A public relations expert who has helped inspire thousands in the industry has been awarded an Honorary Doctorate by Coventry University.
Prita Kemal Gani, who was born in Indonesia, founded her own institute, The London School of Public Relations Communications Vocational High School (LSPR) in 1992, offering PR courses.
It has since become one of the best-known PR schools in Indonesia, with more than 31,098 graduates over the years and in excess of 6,270 current students.
Prita has gained many accolades during her career, including the award for Best Practices in the Public Relations and Communications Profession and the Outstanding Entrepreneur Award from the Asia Pacific Entrepreneur Awards.
She also involves herself in societal issues, having founded the London School of Autism Awareness Centre, and raises awareness of environmental matters as a member of the Advisory Board of the British Council’s Climate Change Project.
I am extremely honoured to receive the award of Honorary Doctor of Arts, from Coventry University, a distinguished university. I am deeply grateful to and would like to thank the committee at Coventry University for their recognition of my work and achievements.
I will cherish this moment as one of the greatest moments of my life. I would also like to thank my family and my team at LSPR who have always been my biggest supportersPrita Kemal Gani
Coventry University has strong links to Southeast Asia through its Singapore Hub and academic collaborations with Universitas Indonesia and a number of other institutions in the region.
I would like to congratulate all those receiving Honorary Doctorates from Coventry University, their outstanding achievements in fields from science, IT and finance to music, sport and law, are an inspiration to today’s students.
Coventry University is proud to maintain strong academic links across the world and we are a national leader in offering fantastic experiences to international students, with more than 13,000 students from overseas choosing to study with us last year.Professor John Latham CBE, Coventry University Vice-Chancellor
This year’s Honorary Doctorate recipients received their degrees during a series of ceremonies between 15-24th November.
The full list of this year’s honorary doctorate recipients:
- Anne-Marie Imafidon MBE - Honorary Doctor of Science- In recognition of her services to young women within STEM careers.
- Bruce Kent - Honorary Doctor of Letters- In recognition of his significant contribution to global peace making and the promotion of reconciliation and justice.
- Dame Eileen Sills - Honorary Doctor of Science- In recognition of her significant contribution to the field of nursing and the advancement of healthcare standards.
- Elaine Yates - Honorary Doctor of Arts- In recognition of her work to support vulnerable women and their children in the city of Coventry.
- Frank Mills - Honorary Life Fellowship- In recognition of his exemplary contribution to the Coventry University Group and his significant contribution to economic development in the West Midlands.
- George W Wagstaffe - Honorary Doctor of Arts- In recognition of his significant contributions to art and to Coventry’s post-war rebirth.
- Gerald Thomas Marlow - Honorary Life Fellowship- In recognition of a career dedicated to the financial management and operation of the University.
- Jane Mary Nickerson - Honorary Doctor of Science- In recognition of her significant national and local contribution to the sport of swimming.
- Sir Michael Joseph Keehan - Honorary Doctor of Law- In recognition of his significant contribution to the legal community, legal education and law reform.
- Michael Stuart Williams - Honorary Doctor of Business Administration- In recognition of his outstanding contribution to the public sector and third sector institutions in the Midlands.
- Mohamed K Al Assam - Honorary Doctor of Arts- In recognition of his exceptional contribution to architecture in the Middle East.
- Nitin Sawhney CBE - Honorary Doctor of Arts- In recognition of excellence in the arts and significant contribution to arts education.
- Prita Kemal Gani - Honorary Doctor of Arts- In recognition of her contribution to public relations and communications education across ASEAN.
- Priya Lakhani OBE - Honorary Doctor of Business Administration- In recognition of excellence of entrepreneurship and the application of this to help and educate others.
- Dr Salim Mohammed Al Malik - Honorary Doctor of Arts- In recognition of his significant contributions towards international education, the development of peaceful international relationships in the Middle East and the elimination of poverty, illiteracy and extremism.
- Professor Dr Shirley J Thompson OBE - Honorary Doctor of Arts- In recognition of outstanding contribution to the arts and arts education.
- Darren Rodwell, Joanna Thomas and David Thomas have also all recently been awarded Honorary Doctorates at CU London.