Dr Tariq S. Almontaser
Lecturer in Accounting
Faculty of Business and Law
In addition to delivering seminars for PG and UG students, I am leading a set of accounting modules such as:
- 5005ACC Principles of Business Accounting.
- 7003ACC Auditing and Assurance
- 5003ACC Management Accounting
- New Development in Accounting.
- 2020, Fellow in Higher Education Academy (FHEA), UK.
- 2019, Doctoral Degree in Accounting, University of Reading, UK
- 2001, Master’s Degree in Financial Accountancy, Libyan Academy of Higher Studies.
- 1992, Bachelor’s Degree in Financial Accountancy , Faculty of Accounting, Libya.
I have around 15 years of teaching and research experience in academic accounting programmes at higher/further education institutions in the UK and internationally. I joined Coventry University (CU) - the department of Economic, Finance and Accounting (EFA) - in September 2020 as a lecturer in accounting started with a year of working as an associate lecturer.
I have previously held lectureship posts in accounting and finance at The College of Applied Administrative and Financial Sciences (CAAF) in Libya, the University of Reading, De Montfort University and University of Sheffield. In CU and the universities mentioned above I have developed, reviewed, coordinated, lectured, tutored, contributed to, assessed and/or examined a wide range of courses in Accounting.
I have published my research in ABS, ABDC and Scopus listed accounting and finance journals. Participation in academic events in and outside the UK is essential for developing research-based skills and networking. I have attended more than 5 different events (i.e., conferences, workshops). I am continuing research interests in social and environmental accounting, corporate sustainability and SDG reporting/disclosure. My memberships in the British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA) and CorpTax Alliance (based in Netherland) support me in both pedagogical and research performance.
In general, I am working on three research projects focus on developing the research methods and methodology to conduct publishable research studies in CSR and sustainability areas. The main aim of this research strategy is to take researchers’ attention that studying CSR & sustainability contents published on online media is significantly different from other types of media such as printed media (annual reports, newsletter…. Etc.). They can be outlined as follows:
- Measuring and analysing the dialogical attributes of CSR disclosure using semantic analysis techniques.
- Measuring and analysing, using unique techniques, stakeholders’ engagement with web CSR information.
- Measuring and assessing the updateability of web CSR information from companies’ perspective.
The introduced techniques and the outcome of these research projects can be adopted not only in CSR area but also, in any quantitative web-based research study.
- Participated in oikos Young Scholars Finance Academy. Zurich-Switzerland: University of Zurich in 2017.
- Possessed a membership in CorpTax Alliance (based in Netherland) as regional tax expert for Libya and Tunisia since 2010.
Publications and press
- Almontaser, T., Atkins, J., Elfadli, A., Eskandrany, A., Hassan, A., Mowafi, O., … Saeudy, M. (2022). Middle Eastern Extinctions: Building a Religious Motivation for Species Protection. In J. Atkins & M. Macpherson (Eds.), Extinction Governance, Finance and Accounting: Implementing a Species Protection Action Plan for the Financial Markets (1st ed., p. 610). Routledge.
- Gerged, A. M., and Almontaser, T. (2021). Corporate adoption of SDG reporting in a non-enabling institutional environment : Insights from Libyan oil industries ☆. Resources Policy (ABS2*), 74(July), 102240.
- Almontaser, T. (2021). A Novel Method for Measuring the Timing Website Reconstructions. MethodsX, 8(2021), 101438.
- Almontaser, T. (2019). The Impact of Management Reconstruction on Corporate Social Responsibility Online Reporting by Libyan Oil Companies in the Wake of the Arab Spring. University of Reading (Accessible from 16th October 2022). Retrieved from http://centaur.reading.ac.uk/87869/
- Almontaser, T. (2019). New Approaches in Assessing CSR & Sustainability Disclosure: Insights into the Updateability of Web-based Data. In BAFA Annual Conference. Birmingham: University of Birmingham.
- Almontaser, T. (2017). Quantitative and Qualitative Assessment of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Disclosure: an empirical study. In oikos Young Scholars Finance Academy. Zurich-Switzerland: University of Zurich.