Lecturer in English
School of Humanities
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
George Eliot Building
James has taught English as a Foreign Language for a number of years, in Italy and Turkey as well as at UK universities. His main teaching at Coventry University is based on Academic English courses for international students of business, and on pre-sessional programmes helping to prepare students to succeed at university.
His main research interests include investigating the genres of writing that students are expected to complete at university, and corpus investigations of international students' academic writing. Other interests include designing materials which are focused on particular disciplines or courses.
His hobbies include; playing and watching football, travelling, snowboarding and playing the acoustic guitar. Reading and films are also important pastimes.
• M.A. (in progress), English Language Teaching, Coventry University
• CPE/Graduate Diploma, Law, Birmingham City University
• Diploma, English Language Teaching to Adults (DELTA), Cambridge School of English, Verona, Italy
• Certificate, English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA), New College Nottingham
• B.A (Hons), History, The University of Nottingham
Professional Licences and Certifications:
• 2010-present, CELTA Trainer
• Genre Analysis in Academic English
• Corpus Linguistics
• Materials Design for Specific Academic Purposes
• Business English EAP modules
• Pre-sessional courses
• CELTA and teacher-training modules