ATAS Certificates

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) has been put in place by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to ensure that people who are applying to study certain sensitive subjects in the UK do not have links to programmes creating weapons of mass destruction (WMD).

For more information please visit the ATAS website.

Do I need to apply for an ATAS certificate?

You will need an ATAS certificate if you have an offer to study, or are extending your visa, for a PhD or programme that leads to a Masters level qualification and your course has one of the HECoS codes listed on the links below. You can find your HECoS code on your offer letter, which you will have received from our Enrolment Management team.

If you require a visa for the UK, then you will need to obtain an ATAS certificate if you meet the criteria above.

You will not need an ATAS certificate if:

  • You are a UK, EU or EEA (including Switzerland) national 
  • You are studying for an undergraduate level qualification

How to apply

Before you submit an application for an ATAS certificate you will need an offer from Coventry University as it contains information needed to be granted a certificate.

When you have your offer letter please go to the ATAS website where you will be able to apply online

Please ensure that the text you enter on your application form is exactly the same as the text provided in your offer letter. If these 2 documents do not match, you may have difficulties when applying for your visa or extension of stay.

We will need the following information, most of which is similar to that on a typical CV, or your application form for your HEI study.  You can also find some information on your offer letter:

  • Your contact details
  • Passport details
  • Name and nationality of your spouse/partner (if applicable)
  • Full details of all previous studies
  • Full details of all previous/current employment (if applicable)
  • Full details of published papers (if applicable)
  • Previous ATAS applications (if applicable)
  • The programme of study you are applying to follow in the UK (including HECoS code and research proposal)
  • If doing a taught Masters course you will need details of the optional modules you anticipate taking.
  • Full names and contact details of 2 referees (first name(s) and family name). You must have known both of your referees for at least 3 years. At least one must also be an academic from your country of origin
  • How you will be funding your studies.
Coventry University ranked 15 in the UK
Coventry University awarded TEF GOLD Teaching Excellence Framework
University of the year for student experience
QS Five Star Rating 2019
Coventry City of Culture 2021