Digital Economy through a multidisciplinary perspective: This is a taster program which focuses on what happens to the digital economy in each of these spheres, and why the digital economy is changing how we work and live. This program offers a multidisciplinary view from organisational change, digital marketing, investment and finance and taxation.
9 July - 15 July 2023
Qualification: Certificate only.
- Organisational Change: The digital economy will have far reaching consequences in how organisations function and what is termed ‘key knowledge’ in order to succeed and thrive. We will explore how organisations will be measured in radically different ways as they react to dynamically changing customer’s needs.
- Digital Marketing: Digital Marketing nowadays is a customer-centric discipline, practice, and philosophy. However, most businesses struggle to capture the buyer’s journey and the phases in which the journey is divided. You will learn how businesses should effectively balance and distribute effort, time, and budget between the top, middle and bottom of the buyer’s journey and how the ‘consumer funnel’ works in practice. Using the Digicomm lab’s facilities, you will interactively explore what digital techniques, tools, and media channels we can use to facilitate a buyer’s journey across different phases.
- Investment and Finance: In a digital economy, advancing digitalisation of the finance function is an important objective for organisations and markets in general, as data becomes more readily available and manageable with more innovative connectivity and analysis tools. We will analyse the financial of a company/industry/economy, using a finance digital platform used by industry professionals, with the purpose of making a smart and informed investment decision. You will be able to see how theory works in practice through a hands-on experiential, investment analysis and trading session that will provide you with the opportunity of buying/selling shares to maximizing returns, in a simulated trading environment.
- Taxation: The taxation of the digital economy is a contentious issue. While governments once sought to develop e-commerce by turning a blind eye to taxation of digital transactions, nowadays those same states acutely realise the revenues lost to online businesses. We will examine the legal and jurisdictional challenges to taxing online businesses and transactions. We will consider what constitutes fair jurisdiction to tax online enterprises, as well as the challenges of taxing the sale of ‘e-goods’.
*If combined with FinTech for Global Professionals, students will pay the cost of a 3-week module.
How will this course be taught
For more information on how the course will be taught, please see our FAQs.
The Coventry University Global Summer School (hereby known as “the Programme”) is open to students, HE professionals and members of the public. In order to apply to the Programme, Coventry University you must be aged 18 or above by the time that the course starts.
For all courses, we require a good level of English language skill in speaking, reading and writing. All courses are taught solely in English. The Global Summer School recommends a TOEFL overall score minimum of 35 and IELTS score minimum 5. If you do not have a valid (within 2 years) TOEFL/IELTS score, please take the English language test and send us your score for consideration.
If you have any questions around payment, laptop requirements and more you can consult our frequently asked questions page.
You’ll be staying in Coventry University student accommodation as part of your Global Summer School programme. The accommodation consists of a mix of 4-12 en-suite bedroom flats, with a shared kitchen. Located just 5-10 minutes from the University and close to supermarkets, restaurants, Coventry city centre, and other local amenities, our student accommodations are perfect for getting to know your new friends on the course.
During your time with us you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Take part in a guided tour of Coventry University
- Enjoy a welcome and farewell meal with the new friends you’ll make on the course
- Participate in social and cultural activities
- Have free time to explore Coventry, Birmingham, Stratford-upon-Avon, or other nearby locales
- Spend time with a university Student Ambassador, giving you the inside information on Coventry
Accreditation & Professional Recognition
Bloomberg Markets Concepts certificate earned for in-person module only.