The Centre for Academic Writing (CAW) offers a range of services for undergraduate students at Coventry University, along with some specialised resources including ‘The Coventry University Guide to Referencing in Harvard Style.'
50-minute one-to-one tutorials
These tutorials can help students at any stage in the writing process, from interpreting the assignment question and making a plan to revising a completed draft. Tutorials focus on the larger questions of writing, such as how to structure a student’s essay/report, how to improve academic style or how to reference correctly. Tutors are also happy to discuss students’ general queries on the writing process.
Online synchronous and asynchronous tutorials
These tutorials take place online
- in synchronous mode, through Skype, when students can discuss live their assignment drafts with a CAW academic writing tutor
- in asynchronous mode, as email writing tutorials, when students submit their assignment drafts and later receive written and/or audio feedback from a CAW academic writing tutor.
Dissertation writing groups
These writing groups aim to provide undergraduate students with support for writing their third-year dissertations. Academic Writing Tutors from CAW are on hand to consult with students as they work on issues such as:
- literature reviews
- academic style
If you are a Coventry University student and would like more information about these sessions, or any of CAW's services, please contact CAW.
CAW offers workshops covering a variety of topics relating to academic writing:
- Academic Style
- Referencing in Harvard Style
- CVs and Covering Letters
- Reflective Writing
- Exam Preparation
- Dissertation Writing
- The Writing Process
- Report Writing.
Academic Writing Add+vantage
Coventry University's Add+vantage programme offers a range of work experience and career development activities to undergraduates, which broaden students' knowledge, skills and qualifications within a work-focused environment. The Centre for Academic Writing offers the following Add+vantage modules for undergraduate students, designed to help students enhance their writing skills:
- Academic Writing: Developing Critical Thinking Skills
- Academic Writing for Sciences
- Academic Writing for Health and Social Studies
- Academic Writing for Arts and Humanities
- Academic Writing 2: Developing Skill in Academic Writing
- Academic Writing 3: Your Dissertation or Final Year Project.