Innovative designs from industrious students at annual University Degree Show
Wednesday 01 May 2013
A concept arctic research vehicle and a supercharged low emissions racing car are amongst the innovative designs being showcased by students from Coventry University’s School of Art and Design as part of its Degree Show 2013.
Final year students in Automotive and Transport and Product Design will be displaying their work at the Industrial Design exhibition, which takes place in Coventry and which opens to the public from Saturday 1 June until Thursday 6 June.
The exhibition launches with an industry night on Thursday 30 May at which invited guests will get a sneak preview of what’s on show and where the 150 students behind the designs will be on hand to talk in detail about their creations.
Design blueprints and scaled down models of new concept cars, pioneering public transport projects and consumer products ranging from injury prevention footwear to multi-purpose furniture will all be on show during the week-long exhibition in Coventry.
Examples of some of the student projects on public display include:
- Arctic Tourism and Research Vehicle - an adaptable mode of transport for both scientists and sightseers, designed in accordance with the World Wildlife Fund’s Ten Principles for Arctic Tourism.
- Zero Emissions, Sustainable Single-Seat Race Car – stipulating a new design concept to minimise environmental impact and improve progress through the motorsports career ladder by increasing the life cycle of the car’s chassis.
- Norton H2 Rotary Motorcycle - the iconic motorcycle is redesigned for a future world of diminishing fossil fuels. Combining hydrogen fuel and a rotary engine, the H2 is affordable and eco-friendly but still retains the excitement and adrenaline rush expected of the revered British brand.
- Furniture for the Smaller Home – contemporary and compact multi-purpose furniture to optimise space and promote flexible living for those homed within smaller properties.
- New Balance Hive - fashionable yet functional footwear, designed to prevent ankle sprains in female netball and basketball players with the soles specifically engineered to offer impact protection as well as aiding a controlled landing for optimum stability.
Michael Goatman, Head of Industrial Design at Coventry University, said:
The Industrial Design exhibition is the yearly showcase for our graduating students at Coventry School of Art and Design.
It marks the climax of their degree studies and provides a platform for them to express their ideas and demonstrate the skills that they have developed during their time with us. Projects include collaborations with our industrial partners and subjects cover things like market developments, social responsibility, specialist needs and sustainable futures.
In previous years the exhibition has proved equally popular with the public and industry insiders who enjoy meeting the new generation of graduates. It’s also attended by many alumni who now work in the industry. So, as well as providing an opportunity for our students to show off their designs, the exhibition is also where contacts are made and where many of our graduates find the opportunities that start their careers.
It’s an event with energy, creativity and surprise; the showpiece for our work for people interested in new design ideas, those thinking about studying the subject or for businesses looking to employ a top class graduate.
The Industrial Design exhibition takes place at the Maurice Foss Building, Cox Street, Coventry CV1 5PH and is open to the public from Saturday 1 June to Thursday 6 June, 10am to 5pm.
The industry night takes place at the same venue from 6pm to 9pm on Thursday 30 May. Attendance is free but places must be booked in advance by contacting Katherine Skinner via email at email@example.com.
For further information and images, please contact Mark Farnan, communications assistant, Coventry University, on 02477 658245 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Degree Show 2013
Coventry School of Art and Design’s Degree Show 2013 exhibits the original work of the UK’s next generation of creative talent over several weeks at various city venues.
Final year undergraduates in visual arts, design, music, fashion, dance, drama, media production and photography will be showcasing their work to the public at different locations across the city centre campus and at selected venues in London.
Further information on Coventry School of Art and Design’s Degree Show 2013, including dates and venues of exhibitions, can be found at the dedicated website.