Professor Gideon Maas
Director International Centre for Transformational Entrepreneurship
International Centre for Transformational Entrepreneurship
Faculty of Business and Law
I am the Director of the International Centre for Transformational Entrepreneurship at Coventry University. I have broad international business and academic experiences in various countries such as China, Europe and Africa. Within the academic environment I have created various entrepreneurship centres at different universities over the past years, developed and implemented undergraduate and post-graduate modules and programmes focusing specifically on enterprise and entrepreneurship.
I was previously the Director of Futures Entrepreneurship Centre and Professor in Entrepreneurship at Plymouth University; Director of the Institute of Applied Entrepreneurship at Coventry University; owner-manager of my own consulting company (South Africa); the first International Chair in Entrepreneurship in South Africa (South Africa and Ireland); Acting Dean and HOD at PE Technikon (South Africa); Head Centre for Entrepreneurship at the Stellenbosch University Business School (South Africa); and Economist at the First National Development Corporation (Namibia). I am currently a member of the Board of Trustees of the Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship.
- PhD, Stellenbosch University, 1996
- MBA, Stellenbosch University, 1989
- B.Mil (Commercial Sciences), Stellenbosch University, 1983
- Fellow HEA (UK), 2014
My research focus and experiences are in entrepreneurship, open innovation, growth strategies, entrepreneurial universities, implementation of entrepreneurial systems and family businesses. In this regard, I have supervised 7 completed doctorate degree students, acted as external examiner for 19 doctorate students, published books, journal articles, industry related research and conference proceedings. I am currently a Visiting Professor at Anglia-Ruskin University.
Recent outputs and publications
- Venter, E., Boshoff, H.C., and Maas, G. (2006) ‘The Influence of Owner-Manager Related Factors on the Succession Process in Small and Medium-Sized Family Businesses’. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation 7 (1), 33-47.
- Maas, G.J.P., and Herrington, M. (2011) ‘The role of HEIs in an entrepreneurial renaissance in South Africa’. Industry and Higher Education 25 (4), 1-8.
- Jones, P., Maas, G., Newbery, R., and Forbes Simpson, K. (2015) ‘Beta: an experiment in funded graduate start-up’. Industry and Higher Education 29 (5), 405–418.
- Maas, G.J.P., and Diederichs, A. (2007) Manage family in your family business. Frontrunner Publishing (Pty) Ltd.
- Maas, G.J.P., and Jones, W.P. (eds.) (2015) Systemic entrepreneurship: contemporary issues and case studies. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
Chapters in books
- Maas, G.J.P. and Maas, B. (2012) ‘The development of globally responsible entrepreneurial mindsets’. In Social responsibility, entrepreneurship and the common good – International and interdisciplinary perspectives. Ed. by Bonanni, C., Lépineux, F., and Roloff, J. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 89-99.
- Maas, G.J.P. (2013) ‘Entering the family business’. In Entrepreneurship: a South African perspective. 3rd edn. Ed. by Nieman, G., and Nieuwenhuizen, C. Van Schaik Publishers, 181-193.
- Entrepreneurial leadership
Areas of Expertise
- Family business governance
- Entrepreneurial universities